What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Avionics and E-LSA Cert

If I get my avionics (and/or engine) from a source other than Van's, am I still eligible for an E-LSA certificate?

I'm getting my Dynon Skyview avionics en masse from a friend that is upgrading his RV-8 panel. I believe this means I will not be eligible for an E-LSA certificate, but I'd like to get E-LSA if at all possible.

What are the advantages of E-LSA over EAB? Can I still do flight instruction in an EAB?

Thanks,
Harry

If I get my avionics (and/or engine) from a source other than Van's, am I still eligible for an E-LSA certificate?
I'm getting my Dynon Skyview avionics en masse from a friend that is upgrading his RV-8 panel. I believe this means I will not be eligible for an E-LSA certificate, but I'd like to get E-LSA if at all possible.
What are the advantages of E-LSA over EAB? Can I still do flight instruction in an EAB?
Thanks,
Harry

To be eligible for E-LSA you must purchase all components from the kit manufacturer. The kit manufacturer will not issue you an 8130-15 unless you buy everything from him. That's the only way he can be sure that you used all the correct parts. You must have an 8130-15 to be eligible for E-LSA.

E-LSA phase I flight testing has a minimum of 5 hrs. Vs 40 hrs. for E-AB.

Only the builder is eligible for the repairman certificate on E-AB. With E-LSA, subsequent owners may apply for and receive the repairman certificate after passing a 16 hr. inspection course.

Flight instruction rules are the same. You may do flight instruction but cannot charge for it.

Last edited:
Flight instruction rules are the same. You may do flight instruction but cannot charge for it.

Not sure about E-LSA, but for EAB the OAK FSDO will be happy to generate a waiver (?LODA?) for you (the owner), allowing you to charge for the aircraft?s use, and a cfi to be paid, BUT only when giving ?type specific transition training?. Nothing else (flight reviews, etc) may be signed off, so it?s very restrictive.

Back