- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Default Window Tint?

Was wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution for blocking the scorching heat from the sun while flying their 10? I was looking at www.justplanetint.com - they have a $50 stick on piece as well as a $20 “slap shade”. Anyone using these?

Thanks
Charlie
Old 04-05-2021, 05:21 AM

My wife and I use the plastic stick on film that I purchase at Walmart. I cut three pieces. One piece goes entirely across the windscreen and covers the top 1/3 that I use for cruising south, another piece matches the entire side window, and a third is a 1 foot square for misc. positioning. The film uses static to cling to the window. It's cheap and comes in two shade of tint. I use the max tint.
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 04-05-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Was wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution for blocking the scorching heat from the sun while flying their 10? I was looking at www.justplanetint.com - they have a $50 stick on piece as well as a $20 “slap shade”. Anyone using these?

Thanks
Charlie
I use one of these and move to where sun is brightest. (might get two) Works well. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ot11-13316.php
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 04-05-2021, 06:28 AM

Amazon has groups of 2 or 4 suction cup shades.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased a single one at Oshkosh a couple years ago from Rosen I think it was for $50, that works well also.

I bought the perimeter cling type that also work but the plastic will lose its shape if you don’t keep it flat, then won’t adhere correctly.

Last edited by rvdave : 04-05-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:28 PM

The Best I've seen are the "Kinder Fluff", also at amazon. Stick great and have two levels of blockage. They simply work much better than Boeing designs.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:44 AM

On the topic of tint, I plan Cee Bailey's windows/windshield in the Solar Gray tint. While its very close to Van's standard, has anybody inquired if they can produce just a shade darker? Nothing extreme to hinder night visibility, but something that is a little closer to automotive legal tint levels.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM

I bought a roll of the Gila window tint material (removable / 20% VLT) and installed on both the rear windows. Works well, but the optical clarity is not good enough for the front windows. Because of the curvature, I have a couple of small air bubbles that I couldn't get out. Helps for the passengers.

Larry
Old 04-19-2021, 11:51 AM

Thanks Guys - ordered the Kinder versions. Larry, I did consider the Gila tint. A fellow RV10 builder installed it and it looks great. I agree though on the clarity. Unfortunately the non-adhesive stuff isnt as clear - but its the only one compatible with our plexiglass windows.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:13 AM

I bought a set of Aero-Shields shades for my rv10. They are custom cut for each window with suction cup attachment. A little expensive $250, but work perfectly cutting down the sun in flight.
https://store.aero-shields.com/catal...cf54c46d195440
www.nwacaptain.com
KRVS - Tulsa
dues paid for 2021
800 hours and counting....
Old 04-29-2021, 05:53 AM

Just ordered a complete set of Cee Bailey's RV10 windows and was wondering that as well. I use the Gila tint on a Diamond DA40 that I fly and it works well enough. Optical clarity is poor though. Plus is that you cut it any shape you want.