What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Race Kneeboard Checklists

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have gone through the current rules for the Tennessee Valley Cross Country Air Race and Speed Dash at www.sportairrace.org under calendar of events and the Memphis and Atlanta sectionals and made up kneedboard check lists for the races. These include:

- A sectional overview sheet with the entire course traced on it
- A separate sheet for the start, each turn and the finish containing:
- Google Earth image of each overlaid with the required flight path
- Inbound:
- frequency
- altitude at the point of interest
- radio call requirement in correct location, format and content
- execution comment​
- Outbound:
- magnetic track to next point
- minimum MSL altitude to stay 500 ft AGL to next point (rounded up)
- enroute frequency
- caution for towers with maximum tower height

They are in power point format so they have to be printed and the excess cut off (in half actually) or folded to fit the kneeboard. If you would like a copy just give me your e-mail address and I will try to send it to you.

Bob Axsom

Power Point

Hello Bob,
We are planning to use your power point at the race briefing. I don't think it can be done any better... other than showing a video. I was doing some race prep this morning on RACE34. Trying to get everything ready for the TV Air Race/ speed trial/airshow. We have a passenger van lined up for transportation to/from the hotel if you don'twant to rent a car. We had someone call about doing the race in an L-39. Not too sure about that?

Chris Murphy

Bob
Yes, please send one my way as well
[email protected]

I am looking forward to taking a trip in the plane and the timing of this event works well for me as well. I look forward to seeing you there.

We are going to make it a mini-vacation

Thanks Chris, Doug received his checklist as confirmed by e-mail.

We are going to make a mini-vacation out of it. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright house in the area that is open for tours, the Marshall Space Flight Center near by in Huntsville and some AAA designated Gem tourist attractions in Birmingham. We rented a car from the Enterprise number you have in the information at the www.sportairrace.org website. The music the night before is a very nice touch by the way.

Bob Axsom

Copy sent to Tom Martin

I sent a copy to Tom Martin. He and Wayne Hadath are planning on bringing their Rockets from Canada to Courtland, Alabama for the cross country race and the 2-way speed run over a measured section of runway 13/31. I'm thinking 260+ mph in the closed airport and waived speed limit speed runs.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back