What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Military Paint Scheme's

hughfi

Well Known Member
Hi there,

I am considering a repaint of my RV6. I would like to do a P51 / Military paint scheme or some variation there of. Does anyone know a paint shop that does this type of work particularly well?

Thanks,

Hugh.

Just about anyone, Hugh.....

....can copy military paint schemes. We used one off the internet br Googling WWII fighter markings and masked it off as best we could, on my buddy's -4.
We used one from the 308th Fighter group that was stationed in Mondolfo, Italy in 1944. There are many really attractive ones. Here:
Brian1.jpg

Regards,

Yes, there a quite a number of them. I have seen P-51 paint schemes on quite a few RV's, and on some replica P-51's as well. Some are amazing, going so far as to even paint realistic machine guns on the front where there aren't any, and they look very realistic- you can't tell there are NOT any guns until you get up close!

Slight hijack

I'm still trying to decide on a paint scheme and really like some of the military schemes. I think they look best on the 3's,4's & 8's but I've got a 7A. Any opinions on military schemes on a side-by-side nose dragger?

Also, since I've never been in the military, I'm not sure if doing a military scheme is kinda of being a poser? I'd like to think of it as a way to honor our WWII aviators.

I'm still trying to decide on a paint scheme and really like some of the military schemes. I think they look best on the 3's,4's & 8's but I've got a 7A. Any opinions on military schemes on a side-by-side nose dragger?

Also, since I've never been in the military, I'm not sure if doing a military scheme is kinda of being a poser? I'd like to think of it as a way to honor our WWII aviators.

You just stand in front of the nosewheel, or don't take a picture of it......and they'll never know... :D

My RV6A in D-Day stripes

L.Adamson

MILITARY PAINT SCHEMES

Try contacting Phillip at http://www.woodwaysigns.com or call 866 670-4700.
He specializes in Military paint schemes for RV's or any airplane. He will do up a .pdf picture of your RV's and will make it as authentic as you want it, down to the placards on the prop. Then they'll make the placards for paint or vinyl. Take his stuff to a paint shop and your set. Great company to work with and good pricing also.

Doug Crumrine
RV-8 N169FS

Side by side, two seat military nose-dragger? How about the T-37? You could compare it to Doug's, and see which looks more "natural"!

Just pick what you like and do the drawing, that's going to be the easy part. I had a tough time finding a good shop to do the military scheme on my -7 around the north west, and ended up having paint done at GLO Custom. I know there's been a couple guys from the WA area that have used Grady. He's done a lot of military schemes and even when travel is considered, the price is right.

L.Adamson RV6A Paint

Hello
I'm new to VAF and building an RV6A. Could you tell me the brand and color # of the yellow paint you used on your RV. You can also email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
since it has a training wheel on it, you had better paint it white and orange.....

(quickly putting on nomex flame gear):D

bob burns
rv-4 N82RB

Hello
I'm new to VAF and building an RV6A. Could you tell me the brand and color # of the yellow paint you used on your RV. You can also email me at [email protected]

Sherwin Williams Genesis. One shade off the color for a Nissan Xterra SUV. It's been four years since I bought the paint, and don't have the exact color number. However, I need to match it myself. Takes five or six light coats for yellow, but doesn't end up using anymore paint. I used white Sherwin Williams primer.

L.Adamson

Back