Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2022, 12:29 PM

Oh the thread closed. Reopening so I can reply.

Many thanks to everyone who reached out! Itís quite comforting to know that Iím in good company I obviously expected bias posting here, but it feels good that folks reached out in such a short period of time. Says a lot about the community here!

While I donít have time to dedicate to building, I do 100% intend to do as much maintenance myself! Not only to be cost effective, but also because I do love working on vehicles. Thereís something relaxing about taking apart a vehicle and putting it back together (after MANY learning experiences along the way, hah!). I wasnít sure of the scope of what I can do with an EAB, but thatís amazing to know I can almost do everything myself. Will definitely need to find a mechanic to supervise the first few times, then maybe just review my work later.

Just a few years ago, I didnít think I would have the means to go into ownership for the rest of my career. Iím still in shock that I managed to knock down wall after wall (finances, insurance, loan pre-approval). Iíll definitely go through each resource everyoneís suggested and try to learn everything I can!

@Mike: Iíll definitely reach out! Didnít expect to find someone with one right down the street from me which is awesome

@Mac: I really appreciate the offer! Once I think of some more questions, I might send a few your way.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:54 PM

The 7 and the 9 have the same fuselage, so if you fit in the 7 and liked it, you should be good in the 9.

If you're going to do much of the maintenance, i would suggest you start learning sooner than later about maintaining one of these planes. Vic Syracuse has a couple of books that are worth having (as well as a YouTube channel), and there are plenty of resources out there that can be invaluable. Mike Busch is another excellent resource, and has several webinars that are good to watch as well. Of course, their information will make more sense if you've been able to poke around in RV's.

If you can get involved with others who have RV's (e.g. an EAA Chapter), that's a good way to get your hands dirty. Maybe you can help someone do a condition inspection, as there are a buttload of screws that need to be removed to gain access to everything. That would be a start to familiarizing yourself with what's involved. Most people will welcome the help, just as long as that person will listen to instructions and isn't a bull in a china shop.

If you enjoy doing the work yourself, then maintaining your own plane is rewarding. Just make sure you're educating yourself along the way.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:46 AM

Default Great plane

Hi. Agree with all of the above. I bought a 2003 rv-9a four years ago and have since put 700 hours on it. It is a joy. I had an rv-12 too for two years, and it was also great, but a little slow on long X-country. It also suffered a little above 12,000 feet (500 fpm climb, which in the RV world is poor). I now am building an RV-9, but building is a lot of work. Usually 2 to 4 years if you build most days of the week, but often 5-8 years or more if you are juggling family, life and work.

If you search Vladís posts over the years you will get an idea about how much fun you can have in the RV-9. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:43 AM

It's been a couple weeks, so I figured I would follow up with something to close with.

I've been having tons of fun going through all the resources and suggestions everyone's posted. I've been blasting through Mike Busch's and Vic Syracuse's books as well and learned way more than I ever expected when I obtained my license. Especially regarding the power plant up front.

I guess the summarization is that I'm undeterred from ownership! In fact, I'm all the more excited to hopefully find my own RV-7A/9A/12 to fly for years to come. Even though I have gone through Vic's pre-buy book, it's still daunting to even make the first call. I suppose I'll keep on reading, watching the market, and meet up with a few of you to get my thoughts in order

Thanks a ton everyone!

Edit: After talking to some folks, the ELSA -12 was mentioned and brought back into play. Very economical (long and short flights), own condition inspections (which really interests me), lower acquisition and continuous cost (lower loan, insurance, fuel bill, etc), and specifically for me...I absolutely don't mind flying at a leisurely pace. It's not so much the destination, but the journey that's important to me. Naturally there's the possibility of me outgrowing it...but I've also been happy with my leisurely motorcycles the past 12 years hah. Maybe when the time comes, I'll start a 9A build or equivalent if I go that route.

So, shooting for the 9A, but keeping an eye out for a well kept 12.

Last edited by Shadowist : 05-10-2022 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added notes about the -12.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:59 AM

Default Flying RV9

Hi,
I live in the Netherlands and bought a RV9a from a guy in Belgium 9 years ago.
No regrets. Absolutely nice and easy to fly airplane. Constant speed prop. Electronic ignition ( lightspeed absolute quality) and injected 160 hp engine. Inclusive autopilot truetrack.
Mogas use and cheap costs.
I can recommend this choice!
Regards
MH from Seppe Netherlads
EHSE
The Netherlands

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will allways long to return! Leonardo da Vinci