Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I use the Aithre in my own airplane and with my panel installs.
Same here...wired to Dynon SkyView, works great! Install was a piece of cake, good for 10 years before refurbishment is required. Sensitive enough to pick up the CO levels in the outside air to a 1 PPM match with SCAQMD data. And pretty inexpensive to boot.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post
I've always considered those things pieces of junk...usually stuck somewhere not visible, unlikely to be noticed in the event of CO in the cockpit, oftentimes forgotten for ages and not replaced.

I wouldn't trash up my cockpit with the worthless things.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:31 PM

I am curious. Can blood oxygen measurements by an apple watch be used to detect carbon monoxide poisoning?

Either way I do agree that we don't need another regulation on this. Knowing the FAA they will require one in my open cockpit DR-1 ... .

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 01-21-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatsch View Post
I am curious. Can blood oxygen measurements by an apple watch be used to detect carbon monoxide poisoning?

Either way I do agree that we don't need another regulation on this. Knowing the FAA they will require one in my open cockpit DR-1 ... .

Oliver
No, one of the dangerous things about CO is that it has an even higher (240x) affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen, and a pulse oxygen reader cannot distinguish between hemoglobin saturated with CO vs Oxygen, so it will be falsely high in the case of CO poisoning.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:50 PM

Default C/O monitors

Pulse oximeters are NOT an indicator of C/O levels. They read the red blood cells which the C/O has a lot greater of affinity to attach than O2. You can be at lethal levels of C/O and the pulse ox will read fine. I also think the colored dot detectors are worthless. By the time the dot changes, you are probably at a lesser mental capacity to realize it. I personally have a home battery operated unit in my RV. Just make sure the detector is less than 10 years old. The sensors go bad after that. ( And check your smoke and C/O detectors for age in your house, please). Ben. (FYI 30 year EMT and firefighter)
1979 Decathlon (In recovering mode)

KFOK Long Island, N.Y.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying EMT View Post
I personally have a home battery operated unit in my RV. Just make sure the detector is less than 10 years old.
As I understand it, the problem with home units being used in aircraft (or boats, for that matter) is that they take a much longer time to respond, as their design environment is radically different.

The Forensics Detectors mentioned above, among many many others, explain ti on their website (q.v.):

Quote:
Can I Use a Home CO Detector for Aircraft?

No, that is a bad idea. A typical CO home detector will not suffice as it will alarm too late for such a small confined space. A home CO alarm is programmed to alarm at 70 ppm in 60 minutes. This is way too slow and the alarm trigger point is too high.
Or Aviation Consumer:

Quote:
Residential Detectors

There are dozens of household CO detectors, some with prices not much above those of the chemical spot detectors. We do not recommend any of the residential detectors as most follow Underwriters Laboratories spec UL-2034, which requires a time delay before the unit will alarm once a given level of CO is present. Thatís to cut down on calls to 911 for false alarms. Under the UL spec, if the unit has a digital readout, it cannot show CO concentrations below 30 PPM. The unit will not sound an alarm until CO reaches 70 PPM and remains there for four hours. At a concentration as high as 400 PPM, the unit will generally not alarm for 15 minutes.

Given the effect of flight at altitude in combination with low-level CO poisoning, we think itís quite likely a pilot would be incapacitated well before a household detector would alarm in flight.

Last edited by RV7A Flyer : 01-21-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:48 PM

I use one of these bad boys. Very small and I can hear the beep and see the light. Good attention getter. I know it works too because it went off while I was in line for departure at OSH.

Co detector
Old 01-21-2022, 07:02 PM

Default CO detector temp range

Looked at both Mel's and Walts units good to -10* C. kind of a joke around most the places I fly for 4 month out of the year.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:34 PM

Default GD-40

Surprised the flight data systems GD-40 hasnt been mentioned. Good for ten years and wires into the Garmin system.

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector
Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 PM

Default Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeck View Post
Surprised the flight data systems GD-40 hasnt been mentioned. Good for ten years and wires into the Garmin system.

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector
I have wired into my G3x. Easy and straight forward installation; details are in the g3x install manual.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com