Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
Quite curious how the RV 3 handles with a fat pax? I'm sure it would be fine with the weight of a nose gear, a constant speed prop, but no primer.
Probably like this Cherokee 235 did with six people in it.

https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/272863
Old 01-03-2022, 11:25 AM

Took a while to get the weather to allow a nice long flight. Here is what I have gathered not scientific, but as good as I can get.

Note this is installed in an RV6A not an RV8

Before:
IO-360, 200 HP - Metal Sensenich 2 blade FP - @ 8500 ft, best economy (LOP, 2450 RPM) 1 saw 151 KTAS @ 59* OAT - best power (ROP, 2650 RPM) I saw 170 KTAS

After:
IO-360, 200 HP - Catto Carbon 3 blade FP - @ 8500 ft, best economy (LOP, 2450 RPM) 1 saw 156 KTAS @ 39* OAT - best power (ROP, 2650 RPM) I saw 177 KTAS

Since the Catto is small in diameter and much lighter the feel in the plane ground or flying is much smoother. Start up is not as violent of an event, idea is VERY smooth. Cabin is quieter in flight as well. Take off and climb performance are at least as good, although I felt I was off the ground a bit sooner that with the metal prop. I put 65 hours on the Metal prop and only have 2 on the Catto so I will reserve final judgment for a later date after a couple XC flights of greater that 2 hours in level flight. The Catto prop is pitched for cruise, I cant get it to exceed 2700 RPM if I'm able to get that high. The Sensenich required me to pull power back once level to keep the RPM under control.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!
Old 01-03-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 57 View Post
would I buy a car with only one gear?
Not really relevant. Don’t think you would buy a car with a air cooled engine or only tuns 2700 rpm.
Cars and planes are different.
Paid dues yearly since 2007

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN
Old 01-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Talking

That would be a really awesome car though. 1 gear and can drive up to almost 200 mph at only 2700 RPM.
QB Wings & Finish kit ordered
RV-6 N926DG: Purchased & Sold
A&P, Comm. SEL/Rotortrash, S-70
Old 01-21-2022, 07:54 AM

Default Simply NOT accurate from my experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Placing a heavy c/s prop on an RV 3, 4, 6, 7, or 8, makes your RV handle like a dump truck.
I have been flying my RV8 which I built for 10 years. I had a Catto 3 blade for 7 of those years with a 0-360 180HP motor cruising 170 knots at 2500 rpm. I now have a BPE built IO-360 200HP angle valve motor with the Hartzell 2 blade composite constant speed prop cruising (2400 rpm) 190 knots usually at 6500-9500 msl.
My CG was very far aft with the light Catto prop as it was hard to load without the CG moving very close to the aft limit with a passenger and baggage. Between the motor and prop I added 66 pounds to the nose with the heavier angle valve motor and constant speed prop. I now add weight (25lbs) to the aft baggage compartment when flying solo.
In my opinion the airplane is much more stable with the forward CG. It is also much easier to load with a passenger and baggage and the CG ends up in the middle of the envelope. An added benefit of the more forward CG is the airplane lands much easier in my opinion.
My plane absolutely doesn't fly like a dump truck! Ridiculous statement in my opinion!

Kevin
Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGT View Post
I have been flying my RV8 which I built for 10 years. I had a Catto 3 blade for 7 of those years with a 0-360 180HP motor cruising 170 knots at 2500 rpm. I now have a BPE built IO-360 200HP angle valve motor with the Hartzell 2 blade composite constant speed prop cruising (2400 rpm) 190 knots usually at 6500-9500 msl.
My CG was very far aft with the light Catto prop as it was hard to load without the CG moving very close to the aft limit with a passenger and baggage. Between the motor and prop I added 66 pounds to the nose with the heavier angle valve motor and constant speed prop. I now add weight (25lbs) to the aft baggage compartment when flying solo.
In my opinion the airplane is much more stable with the forward CG. It is also much easier to load with a passenger and baggage and the CG ends up in the middle of the envelope. An added benefit of the more forward CG is the airplane lands much easier in my opinion.
My plane absolutely doesn't fly like a dump truck! Ridiculous statement in my opinion!

Kevin
Very true! The EIGHT never should have been on that list. How does it handle without the 25lbs in the aft baggage?
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 01-21-2022, 07:09 PM

I had the CG all the way at the front of the envelope before I put a Cato prop on that moved it back.

I found 3 point landings and spins more difficult but doable with the CG in the front now both are substantially easier but you have to pay more attention with heavy passengers and luggage. I guess you canít get everything in a tandem configuration. Luckily the 8 has a forward luggage compartment you can use to balance things out.

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 01-21-2022, 08:10 PM

Default FP vs CS

It's more than fixed pitch vs Constant speed, because not all FP props are the same. I have a cruise prop, 160hp RV-6.
A buddy that I fly with a lot, for coffee or burgers, has a 180hp RV-8 CS.
He has to run 25/2500 to stay with me, unless I throttle back....
But, he blows my doors off on takeoff/ climbout...
Old 01-23-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Plane handles like a dream!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Very true! The EIGHT never should have been on that list. How does it handle without the 25lbs in the aft baggage?
I couldnít be happier with my current set up! I know the Hartzell Composite prop price is a deal killer for many! Iím fortunate to be able to pull it off! However I canít imagine an 160hp RV 6 out running my RV 8 with the Catto prop cruising 170 knots!
Old 01-23-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGT View Post
I couldnít be happier with my current set up! I know the Hartzell Composite prop price is a deal killer for many! Iím fortunate to be able to pull it off! However I canít imagine an 160hp RV 6 out running my RV 8 with the Catto prop cruising 170 knots!
Sorry realized your question was without the weightÖvery nose heavy on the front edge of forward CG. But dead center loaded for x-country. Not ideal without the weight added.