Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2022, 12:49 PM

Question: Is the fuselage contour in the vicinity of the baggage door the same on the -1 matched-hole fuselage kits as the earlier kits?

This might be a product that HP Aircraft LLC would be interested in developing, but not if there are two different fuselage shapes.

We would also welcome suggestions for alternative latch/lock arrangements.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 01-03-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Question: Is the fuselage contour in the vicinity of the baggage door the same on the -1 matched-hole fuselage kits as the earlier kits?

This might be a product that HP Aircraft LLC would be interested in developing, but not if there are two different fuselage shapes.

We would also welcome suggestions for alternative latch/lock arrangements.
They’re not the same. There are two different upper fuselage shapes in that area of the RV-8 between the two versions of the kit, and specifically the difference is in the contour/shape of the top forward skin and bulkheads. The earlier RV-8 and prepunched RV-8 upper forward fuselage bulkheads and skins are not the same. The firewall actually is compatible, but not the upper bulkhead half that’s located in the baggage compartment, and there are some other subtle but important differences in shape and fit of parts. The baggage door shape is definitely not the same between the versions.

That said it *is* possible to retrofit a specific set of parts from the “new” fuselage kit to the “old” version in this area, and thereby use the “new” baggage door (and several other associated parts) on the original version. The new baggage door is definitely easier to fit than the original version. That’s why I made the swap of the parts on my project. But, you have to use the a specific list of parts in total - you cans just scab parts together randomly. They won’t match up if you do. And for those who are not aware, the original fuselage kits were shipped up u til about 2005-2006 (I’d have to go to scanned records to find out for sure the dates) and since then it’s been the prepunched, updated fuselage kit.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-03-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:55 PM

Thanks Greg, that is very helpful.

I wonder if there are any builders still working on the earlier kits that might still want a baggage door? Or would the market be pretty much only be for the new matched-hole kits?

Then the remaining thing is that we would need someone to volunteer their matched-hole RV-8 fuselage for us to make a mold from. Or wait until I am a repeat offender -- which is being contemplated now.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
Hobbs 700
also
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 01-03-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
... someone to volunteer their matched-hole RV-8 fuselage for us to make a mold from.
Pre-punched, not necessarily matched hole. FYI. Plenty of matched drilling still happens throughout an RV-8 fuse project.

Quote:
... Or wait until I am a repeat offender -- which is being contemplated now.
+1

Old 01-04-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
That said it *is* possible to retrofit a specific set of parts from the “new” fuselage kit to the “old” version in this area, and thereby use the “new” baggage door (and several other associated parts) on the original version. The new baggage door is definitely easier to fit than the original version. That’s why I made the swap of the parts on my project. But, you have to use the a specific list of parts in total - you cans just scab parts together randomly. They won’t match up if you do. And for those who are not aware, the original fuselage kits were shipped up u til about 2005-2006 (I’d have to go to scanned records to find out for sure the dates) and since then it’s been the prepunched, updated fuselage kit.
Greg,

I have been working on a 2001 vintage QB kit I picked up recently. I have been contemplating ordering the new baggage door parts for this kit considering all comments I've seen about how much a pain the old door is to assemble. Is it possible to use the new door parts on this old kit? The original builders number is 81426, and it's QB #934. If so, is there a list of parts necessary to use the new baggage door?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Pre-punched, not necessarily matched hole. FYI. Plenty of matched drilling still happens throughout an RV-8 fuse project.
I made the distinction because even the early (pre-2006) fuselage kits are (mostly) pre-punched. I suppose we should just refer to the newer kits as the -1 fuselage, but some may not know what that means either.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
Hobbs 700
also
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 01-04-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6*P View Post
Greg,

I have been working on a 2001 vintage QB kit I picked up recently. I have been contemplating ordering the new baggage door parts for this kit considering all comments I've seen about how much a pain the old door is to assemble. Is it possible to use the new door parts on this old kit? The original builders number is 81426, and it's QB #934. If so, is there a list of parts necessary to use the new baggage door?

Thanks!
That's pretty much exactly the vintage of my QB kit.

If you have not yet installed the top-forward skin (the one the door is cut out of) it might be realistic to tackle this. I will have to look up the accurate list of parts that have to be changed out but I know the list of PP parts you'd need would include at least these and possibly more (I am working from memory and don't have the parts list or RV-8 plans in front of me right now):
  • Top forward skin
  • All baggage door components
  • Upper bulkhead section that separates avionics bay from the baggage compartment
  • The spacer strips that fit between the bulkhead/firewall and the top forward skin (on which the baggage door rests when closed)
With the correct parts it works and is a close fit in my experience. It might take a small amount of massaging and "convincing" when it comes to lining up with the longeron rivet line. The fit of all these parts is fairly precise.

And that also assumes the parts are available, of course!

Bit of a can of worms, but hopefully that's at least a little helpful.

EDIT: I found the details of what I did on my project, see post 29 below.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-04-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I made the distinction because even the early (pre-2006) fuselage kits are (mostly) pre-punched. I suppose we should just refer to the newer kits as the -1 fuselage, but some may not know what that means either.
Internally it's referred to I think as the "PP fuselage." Heck I can't remember and I haven't had time to look at my project (let alone work on it!) for a year or more. Rian did all that fuselage update work when he was an intern. Now he runs the dang place!

I'll gather some more info on the differences when I come up for air. Would make an interesting trivia video or article maybe.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:08 PM

Okay, I found my notes from a couple of years ago, so here you go. NOTE: Your mileage may vary, don't blame me when it gets a little/lot goofy, etc. etc.

This is for people with the older/original RV-8/8A fuselage kit who want to use the more modern baggage door design since it's "more buildable" (read: easier to get it to fit well) than the original door. You'll have to replace more than just the door parts to make this work. There's no way to get the -1 door to fit in the original fuselage correctly without changing bulkhead/skin/other parts since the bulkhead and skin profiles are different.

Refer to DWG 84 from the RV-8 plans.

Notes:
  1. Owners of the older kits don't have that DWG 84, but when you create an account on our web store and then register your airplane/kit there, you'll automagically get access to the latest kit plans for the RV model(s) you own. This is a good example of why we decided to do that on the web store.
  2. Be sure to use the latest parts - the ones with the largest trailing number after the dash on each part (so, -2 or -1 etc. depending on the specific part). FYI, the trailing "dash" number is the revision number for that part, and this same scheme for revision numbering is used across each of the RV models. #themoreyouknow

F-866B-1 Fwd Baggage Bulkhead
F-821-1 Fwd Top skin
F-821B-1 Aft Baggage Door Support Strip
F-821C-1 Fwd Baggage Door Support Strip

F-873A-1 Baggage Door Skin
F-873B-1 Baggage Door Fwd Rib
F-873C-1 Baggage Door Aft Rib
F-873D-1 Baggage Door Inner Skin
F-873E-1 Baggage Door Outboard Rib
F-873F-1 Baggage Door Angle
F-873G-1 Hinge Support
F-873H Spacer
And all other F-873 parts as well

Pretty sure you will also need this - my memory is a bit vague on this one: F-803C-1 Instrument Panel Attach Flange.

If you're using the original fuselage kit's instrument panel you should be prepared to do some shimming and other smallish adjustments to get things to fit (you'll have some gaps on the lower sides, etc.). Or, replace the instrument panel with the new one to get a closer fit if you haven't built the panel yet.

And I can't guarantee all of these parts are readily available, at least not right now. YMMV.

Okay. Have fun. And please just don't blame me when you get frustrated. Worth it in the end, probably maybe.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-04-2022 at 08:23 PM. Reason: to make it readable
Old 01-04-2022, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info Greg! I'm a little ways off from this task, so everything is easy to change now, relatively speaking that is.