to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vaitor View Post
I went EAB and installed an Avidyne IDF540 in the panel and a Dynon heated pitot/AOA in the wing for IFR capability. The 540 provides VOR/ILS in addition to WAAS GPS and a second comm. The Dynon AP/IFD540 combination works well for flying coupled approaches. The iPAD with Foreflight adds a 3rd WAAS GPS (Dual) source and approach geo referenced plates. I have a 2nd iPAD with Foreflight and the IFD100 app that lets me run a second 540 display via Bluetooth to the panel unit. I also have two batteries and a redundant buss electrical system to keep the electrons flowing.

A G5 would make a nice backup but there is no place to put it. My panel is cut for a SV-D700 on the right side, however I prefer the iPAD mini where it is at.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Had to look twice to confirm it was still an RV-12. Not knocking it at all, but thats a lot of avionics for that Rotax to pull. Very nice.
RV-12, N913BC - EAA Light Plane Silver Lindy (2016)
***2022 Annual VAF Donation***
Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 04-22-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
When did people start thinking that a GPS was required for ifr? Convenient, sure, but not necessarily required.
Agreed, but seems backwards to install an ILS/Nav Radio these days when just adding a certified GPS source adds so many more approaches. Garmin 175 unit was most cost effective (& capable) path forward for me.
RV-12, N913BC - EAA Light Plane Silver Lindy (2016)
***2022 Annual VAF Donation***
Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 04-22-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
What does going LSA do for you that basic med won’t do for you?
Sport Pilot medical requirements are less burdensome than BasicMed (no bi-annual course to take and no 4-year physical) at the cost of restricted privileges. So maintaining a medical (FAA or BasicMed) and flying an E-AB certificated aircraft allows for greater privileges, such as IFR, with the option to transition to Sport Pilot medical rules in the future. However it’s important to note that most things that are disqualifying under a Class III are also disqualifying under BasicMed or SportPilot in theory. IOW if a condition would ground you under a Class III, you technically probably would need to ground yourself under the other programs. People tend to think BasicMed and SportPilot eliminates most groundable conditions but in reality all they really do is shift identification and compliance to the pilot.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 04-22-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:32 PM

Biannual= twice a year
Biennial = every two years
I agree with what you posted, but the devil is in the details.
Pilot with FAA medical has a pacemaker installed, FAA now requires all sorts of paperwork, tests, etc, before flying again. Expensive tests, paperwork takes forever.
Pilot with basic med has pacemaker, asks his doctor about flying, doc says sure, no problem. No further issues or costs.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Biannual= twice a year
Biennial = every two years
I agree with what you posted, but the devil is in the details.
Pilot with FAA medical has a pacemaker installed, FAA now requires all sorts of paperwork, tests, etc, before flying again. Expensive tests, paperwork takes forever.
Pilot with basic med has pacemaker, asks his doctor about flying, doc says sure, no problem. No further issues or costs.
Thanks—corrected, but it wasn’t a critical pedantic error on my part as I’m sure everyone got what I meant. Anyway, I purposely didn’t delve into the world of SIs as in a lot of those instances the conditions with proper treatment aren’t ultimately disqualifying, although the SI issuance relief is a huge pro in favor of BasicMed IMO— I personally benefit from the lack of an OSA SI under basicmed. My intent was to address more general health concerns that aren’t addressed by an SI. To be fair, even under a Class I/II/III compliance of the rules for non-chronic but nevertheless grounding conditions is based on the honor system. Heck we all know that there are folks out flying everyday without any kind of medical or appropriate rating.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 04-22-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:47 PM

I put a VOR/LOC/GS unit in my 12. I wanted to be able to do my six month proficiency holds and approaches in the 12. Mine is an ELSA. HERE’s a weird wrinkle. The FAA says the safety pilot has to have a medical. However, any sport pilot can be the PIC while I do my proficiency flying under the hood.

I thought an IFR GPS would be an unnecessary expense since the VOR/LOC/GPS allows me to accomplish what I want.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I thought an IFR GPS would be an unnecessary expense since the VOR/LOC/GPS allows me to accomplish what I want.
I've never heard of a VOR/ILS/GPS unit that wasn't an IFR GPS. What is it?
Empennage and Wings (except nav lights) done
Working on Fuselage
three more kits on order...
Old 04-22-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I've never heard of a VOR/ILS/GPS unit that wasn't an IFR GPS. What is it?
Typo. As in his first sentence, VOR/LOC/GS
Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 AM

Default Nice panel

John
Bit off topic but a couple of questions:
1. How well can you read the iPad in that location (thinking of the same location on my -7)
2. I notice you have the ram mount, do you have a screen protector on the iPad? On my new ram mount (iPad Mini 6) the roller presses on the edge of the screen protector (glass) and I am concerned it will crack it.
Figs
Old 04-23-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamblin10 View Post
Has anybody actually modified their RV-12 for IMC (heated pitot, GTN650, ect)? I'm thinking of certifying my build as EAB and installing the IFR package in order to actually fly above the clouds when needed on trips. As EAB that will be perfectly legal until such time as my medical becomes questionable (as we all age) then I will fly under LSA rules below the clouds. What all did you add to your aircraft to make it IMC capable? Thanks!
I modified my ELSA RV12 for IMC. The electrical setup: The PC680 was replaced with two EarthX batteries mounted behind the baggage bulkhead. A B&C pad mounted alternator was added to a new and separate 30 amp buss. The stock electrical system had minor modifications to share the loads between the two electrical buses.

The equipment installed: (2)G3X touch screens, GMC307 autopilot controller, GPS175 certified GPS, MGL N16 VOR/ILS, GAP26 heated pitot tube, GTR 200 Radio, GDL39R ADSB, GTX23ES XPONDER and all the supporting switches, fuses and black boxes.

Center of gravity move aft a little and total weight gain was minimal due to the equipment chosen. My FAA operating limitations allow flight in IFR/IMC if so equipped and inspected per the Reg’s. It is not set up for flight in ice. Overall, I am happy with this setup. This plane has performed well in IMC.