to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett H View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you transfer the fuel from the 5 gallon containers to the 15 gallon container before transferring it to the fuel tank rather than transferring it from the 5 gallon containers to the fuel tank?
I’ll turn 70 this year. I used to have Briggs Stratton 5-Gallon containers and lift them to fuel the RV-12. I used EZ-Pour fuel spout which emptied the container very quickly.

I can no longer lift fuel containers to pour into the filler neck… so I devised this simple method for safely transporting fuel without heavy/ sustained lifting. I’d like to fly another ten years as I age and I think this fueling method is part of the solution…

I have gained a healthy respect for the 912 ULS… when handling the four fuel containers with 5-gallons each, I realize how hard the engine/airplane have to work when climbing ~ 1000 FPM at near gross weight. Very efficient engine that is well matched to the airframe….
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 830

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 11-03-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
My friend stores 40 gallons of 100ll in his hanger. He keeps it in aluminum tanks in the wings of his Mooney, oh wait that’s safer😂.
And the aircraft tanks are VENTED into the hanger. I don't think these fire dept inspectors understand aircraft fuel systems.
RV-12, N913BC - EAA Light Plane Silver Lindy (2016)
***2022 Annual VAF Donation***
Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 11-03-2022, 09:01 AM

Back to the OP - you will want to use the freshest gas possible which means using a high volume station (Costco - good). And then fueling on the day you fly. Most of your flights will be local so probably burning less than 5 gallons. Which means in practice you will only be using one of the cans most of the time - leaving 5 gallons in the plane and putting in 5 gallons for the day's flight. So a pump is nice but optional. Pouring in one can only takes a few minutes - you can use a stepstool to make it easier. Having three cans is still a good idea for the days when you go out and back or cross country.

Safety note: Always place your can on the ground when filling at the station. And you should have a grounding wire from the plane to your can.

Last edited by jrtens : 11-03-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Vapor lock at altitude is a manageable problem... Vapor lock on takeoff can result in a very bad day. Pay attention to heat-soak on the ground. I had vapor lock in early spring (winter fuel) on a warm day. Repeated takeoff / landings with long downwind taxi. Engine decided it wanted to quit making power at about 400’ AGL. 912 ULS tried to shake itself loose from the airframe and almost succeeded. Gets your full attention really quick…..
I can also testify that it will indeed get your full and undivided attention in an instant, and you can skip your next cardiac stress test. In our case it was winter blend gas and the weather had warmed up while we did some extended maintenance. Lesson learned.

In our case it was difficult to reproduce on the ground. Only running at full power for a minute or so would do it, and even then not reliably. Troubleshooting that was not a happy time for us. Me especially, since I was the test pilot during both incidents.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 11-03-2022, 03:44 PM

Fortunately I have a mogas station nearby that offers an ethanol free 93 octane unleaded. Before this I would mix the ethanol free 90 octane 50:50 with 93 octane unleaded from Costco. Net result is a 91.5 octane mogas with half the ethanol.

I use Flo-Fast 10 (I think they might be called 10.5) gallon with the Flo-Fast crank pump.

When I will be flying more than 1.5 - 2 hours one way I throw one or two empty plastic 5 gallon cans and a funnel in the baggage area and utilize a crew car to run to the nearest gas station for premium unleaded.
E-LSA
iRMT & LSRM-I

Donated

“Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane.” -Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) Movie - "The Edge" https://youtu.be/dJD0lB4zRes
"...except during the month of Annual Condition Inspection." -Me (in the hangar)
"My first wife didn't like airplanes." - Gordon Baxter