Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-18-2022, 09:51 AM

Default voltage regulator

I know it is not a new subject.

But I wonder why the Ducati VR for the Rotax is not replaced by a another one ( Schicke, Silent Hektik ?) when I continuously read about (cooling) problems, the need to carry a spare part etc. Van's and/or ROTAX could not be happy with so many prematurely malfunctional parts.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:40 AM

The voltage Ducati regulator has been replaced by the B&C https://store.vansaircraft.com/ea-xb...a-xb100-1.html
Whatever regulator is used, it needs to be mounted with heat conductive
paste between metal mounting surfaces to dissipate the heat.
I am still using a $20 one from eBay. It has not failed in a couple of hundred hours.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:45 PM

Instead of the paste I would get longer bolts and add washers under the regulator creating an air gap for air to circulate. Mine is mounted in the cockpit side of firewall and has about a 1/4" gap from firewall. Even so, the best I ever got was 300 hours before failure.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:17 PM

Bob, I think a better solution would be thermal paste because ther wouldn’t be much ram air through the gap formed by ssyandoffs. Conduction might Trump convection in this case.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:08 AM

Default +1 for thermal paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Bob, I think a better solution would be thermal paste because ther wouldn’t be much ram air through the gap formed by ssyandoffs. Conduction might Trump convection in this case.
Concur with the paste recommendations. I put about 100 hours on my Ducati mounted inside beneath the shelf with plenty of Thermal Paste. It failed due to a poor spade connection rather than internal heat. Check those and other high power connections!
Old 10-17-2022, 01:55 PM

I also have a $25 VR. I mounted it under the passenger instrument panel using longer bolts and spacers to create a 1/4" air gap. I then taped 1/2 flexible tubing to the bottom of the instrument panel with one end pointing at the VR and the other end stuck partially in the lower part of the passenger's air vent. This provides nice ram air to the VR where it is just slightly warm to the touch. If it rains, I just reach over and pull the tube out. This has been working great and I plan to come up with a more permanent/attractive proper install.

Last edited by Jcurry : 10-17-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:29 PM

Default 12 Regulator Kit-1

I purchased this: 12 Regulator Kit -1, from Vans. It includes the B+C regulator and the installation kit. You do need to install a Naca scoop on your cowling, so it is a little involved. It is also kind of pricey at $460.00.
I hope it lasts forever.
Xenia, OH 45385
Old 10-31-2022, 11:29 AM

Default 12 regulator kit-1

Could not find where Van's recommended using thermal paste during the install of the B&C regulator. The adapter plate between the regulator and the firewall leaves an air gap. I would think that thermal paste would be a better solution to heat dissipation of the regulator.