What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Gear leg question

I'm still doing research on the RV 3 & 4 before I pull the trigger on a tail and wing kit. I see from reading posts that some 4's have longer gear legs. Is this something builders started doing or is this something Van's Aircraft did? What is the length difference?I have done a search but sometimes these search functions give you everything except what you want. Thanks. Kevin

I'm pretty sure it was a change Van's made to put the airplane in an attitude closer to stall to make 3-point landings work out better. I'm not sure of the exact change in length, but I seem to remember it being just a few inches.

Not sure the reason for change. For what it's worth: I've owned one of each and I prefer the shorter legs.

Gear Leg Info from Van's

Here's info from Joe Blank at Van's...

From a part number standpoint, the U-415 is the tall gear leg, and the U-401 is the short gear leg. The taller gear leg overall length is 50.50" and the length from the upper end to the bend (axle) is 42.65". My guess is that the short gear leg will be about 2"-3" shorter.

I'm not sure what other info you are needing at this point, but the taller gear leg raises the aircraft by 2" and requires a different engine mount. Hope this helps.
Thanks

Joe
Vans Aircraft

Here is the request I made.
What is the length (in inches) of both the older short gear legs vs
the newer "long" gear legs? Please give me the measurement from the
place where the gear exits the socket on the engine mount to the
threaded end.

Hope this helps everyone who has or will question the tall vs short gear.

Short Gear legs

I had the short gear on my -4 and swapped to the tall gear with the plan to put a 72" prop on the plane. Now I'm sticking with 68". However, I think you can mount a 72" on the short gear. You will just have less clearance. You will have a difficult time hitting a 68" on the short gear. It looks close but beleive me, I've tried my best (not intentionally) to hit it with no success. If you are interested in a mount and short gear, I have a used set that I'd let go cheap. Email with any questions if you are interested. Good luck.

I had the short gear on my -4 and swapped to the tall gear with the plan to put a 72" prop on the plane. Now I'm sticking with 68". However, I think you can mount a 72" on the short gear. You will just have less clearance. You will have a difficult time hitting a 68" on the short gear. It looks close but beleive me, I've tried my best (not intentionally) to hit it with no success. If you are interested in a mount and short gear, I have a used set that I'd let go cheap. Email with any questions if you are interested. Good luck.
I got a 68" on a short gearleg RV-4 and I can't even think I could use a 70" on my one... On dirt strips there is no need to bring out the lawnmover after one of my visits :)

Last edited:
I got a 68" on a short gearleg RV-4 and I can't even think I could use a 70" on my one... On dirt strips there is no need to bring out the lawnmover after one of my visits :)

Something must be different because I don't even have grass stains on my tips! And I'm not always good about cutting the grass. I think there are short gear -4 flying with 72" CS props. Anyone?

Something must be different because I don't even have grass stains on my tips! And I'm not always good about cutting the grass. I think there are short gear -4 flying with 72" CS props. Anyone?

My gear appears to be a bit on the "soft" side. But I should add that the dirt strips I use are very basic, so one might consider that I actually lose an inch or two because of this (uneven and long grass).

No weapon too short for a brave man...

I flew my short gear RV4 for 12 years off my home 900' rough grass strip with nary a grass stain on any of my 69" props. The key is pilotage my brothers, not prop length.(and a tractor with a finish mower!) I also flew my buddies 72" Hartzell on the same strip with short gear with no worries. The key is taking off and landing with the right AOA. I normally three point T/O and land on my short grass strip. Quicker takeoffs and full stall landings are the order of the day on the rough stuff with any airplane in my experience, the RV4 is no exception. The long gear RV4's look better, land better (in three point) and have better ground clearance, but less view over the nose taxiing. My HR2 has very long gear compared with the RV4 and requires S-taxiing but more than makes up for it in every other department! In the RV4 I prefer the short gear overall, mainly for the lower weight and view over the nose...:) OK I'm a purist...
If I'm landing at an airport with pavement and bystanders, wheels landings for style points are fine. I still use a tail low, power-on greaser without the TW touching for both T/O and landing.

My 2 cents.

Rob Ray

Last edited:
Back