What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A panel ( throttle quadrant)

Larry Parham

Well Known Member
Any reason NOT to install the Throttle Mixture Prop on the the panel. I am going to make a new panel and I will have plenty of space, and the lower sub panel just takes up room.

thanks Larry

If you accept that the cables would have to be removed from the engine & firewall if you ever have to remove the panel in the future, unless you figure out a cable mounting panel insert that bolts into the lower panel.
Just be wary of mounting the throttle too high (arm fatigue).

My cables would have been too short if installed on the instrument panel. The normal mount for the throttle and mixture cable sets them back under the instrument panel about an inch. The cables in my kit did not have an inch to spare.

As Ralph said, you may want to plan for future panel changes by keeping it on a separate panel. I have done it before on a separate panel with a notch cut on the main panel so it doesn't hang below. It takes some planning, but can be done.

My cables would have been too short if installed on the instrument panel. The normal mount for the throttle and mixture cable sets them back under the instrument panel about an inch. The cables in my kit did not have an inch to spare.
Larry,
Above is a whole lot of experience talking. Unless you order longer cables than what you currently have you will indeed have difficulty with your proposed location. Early on in my fitting process I inadvertently flipped my thottle bracket backwards while attempting to fit my cables. This orientation had the bracket flush with the front of the panel. For the life of me I could not figure out why the cables would not reach properly. After some serious head scratching and probably a sleepless night it hit me that I had flipped the bracket around. Once corrected all was right with the world.

After 750 hours with with a DJM Throttle Quadrant in my -9, I wouldn't change a thing!

There is no fatigue associated with it because you rest your hand on the quadrant body and and hook the throttle lever with you thumb. This configuration gives you you much better control over throttle movement than than a vernier style throttle.

If I were building another side-by-side today, I would configure it exactly the same way as what I have done.

Check my website for details.
New%2520Panel%25202.JPG

Any reason NOT to install the Throttle Mixture Prop on the the panel. I am going to make a new panel and I will have plenty of space, and the lower sub panel just takes up room.

thanks Larry

Works just great like this - and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

IMG_0693_zps2qmxdntk.jpg

Quadrants are a fad. One problem is that there's only one friction adjustment so you can't have a loose throttle for maneuvering and keep the others where you want them. It's easier to do fine adjustments with a vernier than with a lever. But vernier throttles are a pain for maneuvering and can be a hazard because some pilots can forget to push in the button to reduce power.

Ed

Quadrants are a fad. One problem is that there's only one friction adjustment so you can't have a loose throttle for maneuvering and keep the others where you want them. It's easier to do fine adjustments with a vernier than with a lever. But vernier throttles are a pain for maneuvering and can be a hazard because some pilots can forget to push in the button to reduce power.

Ed

I have the DJM quadrant, and have not had any problems with friction adjustments. I don't think I've adjusted it more than a time or two in 400 hours now, and the throttle works just fine, and none of the three exhibit any kind of "throttle creep".

Back