What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind prop with Pmags

Denok

Patron
Hello,
I now run a IO 360 B2B with dual Pmag with a Sensenich constant speed prop and I have now decided that the time has come to go CS. I will most probably go with a 200RV from Whirlwind but I have heard that because of it's low inertia and the use of Pmags, starter kickbacks can be an issue. I'm certain I will not be the only person using this combination so I would like to have user feedbacks and general comments on 200RVs used along with Pmags. :rolleyes:
Thanks
Denis

Pmags retard the timing at start to TDC.

If you do have issues, you can slightly retard the initial timing and then go back into the Pmag software and add this back to the max advance value to null out the offset. This will cause the Pmag to fire at slightly past TDC during start.

Last edited:
I run dual Pmags...actually Emag/Pmag combo...and a WW200RV prop on my 360. Never had a kick back in 160hrs.

I have dual pmags and a 200RV prop on a IO-360B1B and have had quite a few kickbacks - in the past. Changed the timing by advancing the ring gear a couple of teeth and it was better, but still happened once in awhile. Always occurred on the re-start when the engine did not start for whatever reason on the first attempt. I think there is likely unburned fuel in the cylinder that is being ignited with the waste spark that causes the problem - at least that is my theory. Regardless, for the rare times that I have to do a re-start now, I start with both pMags OFF, hit and HOLD the start button so the prop is going a good speed, and then flip both ignitions on to get the start. Never any kickbacks with that method. Method suggested by Brad at emagair and not a big deal at all - sounds more complicated than it is.

erich

P-Mag Restarts

For some reason, I recall that the procedure for a re-start with P-Mags is to cycle power off and then back on, to reset the ignition to the start mode before cranking again. That might have come from a phone call to the manuf, or from the instructions, do not recall.

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB
O-360 Dual P-mags

I believe that cycling the power enables the Run Mode Start Delay feature. You have to turn off the power to the mags and also ground the p leads to reset this. As I understand it, this means that when you hit the starter, the P-Mags won't fire for a couple of revolutions.

I believe that cycling the power enables the Run Mode Start Delay feature. You have to turn off the power to the mags and also ground the p leads to reset this. As I understand it, this means that when you hit the starter, the P-Mags won't fire for a couple of revolutions.

This assumes you have set the RMSD. The default setting is zero revolutions before firing the plugs.

Back