What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-12 Builder coming to Northern VA / any others out there?

uuacallis

Good Evening,
I have been looking at building for quite some time and finally received the requisite approval from the wife over the last week.

Fresh off her approval I immediately scheduled a demo flight with Mitch at his home airport 2W6. Upon my arrival he came to the ramp and picked me up to go to the hanger where we sat down and talked for a good hour about the RV-12. We then went up and flew it and if I wasn't sold before we got in the plane, I was certainly sold by about 300ft AGL.

This morning I reserved my N Number and went over to Harbour freight to pickup some extra shop tools (drill press, band saw, vice, and air compressor)

I have a bit of shop cleanup needed and since the folks over at VANS indicated it will only be about 2 weeks before the first kit arrives, I am going to hold off ordering until I get the shop a bit closer to ready and my tool kit from Avery or Cleveland (haven't decided yet) arrive.

I am curious if there are any other RV-12 builders in the Northern VA area or possibly in the DC Metro area that would be interested in allowing me to visit their shop to see how they are setup.

Thanks,
Adam

Congratulations Adam and welcome to the group. I do not live anywhere near you, but I do have some casual advice. I also bought a Harbor Freight drill press to get started. In brief, it was a complete waste of money. There is so much play in the shaft that I can do much better job with a hand held drill motor. You might be better off finding a decent drill press on the used market. As for the vise and band saw, they seem OK for the light work required.

Now it's my turn to beg the better half. I just completed the empenage kit and I am now ready to move on to the winkg kit. Just a small matter of a few dollars and a lot of sweet talking :)

Good Evening,
I have been looking at building for quite some time and finally received the requisite approval from the wife over the last week.

Fresh off her approval I immediately scheduled a demo flight with Mitch at his home airport 2W6. Upon my arrival he came to the ramp and picked me up to go to the hanger where we sat down and talked for a good hour about the RV-12. We then went up and flew it and if I wasn't sold before we got in the plane, I was certainly sold by about 300ft AGL.

Thanks,
Adam

Yea Adam, I know the feeling. Mitch got me too! He is good. We Van's buyers are easier than shooting fish in a barrel.

I am in northern Md. and there are a couple of nice ones up the road in Pottstown, so if you want to see some that are completed, drop me a line.

Yea Adam, I know the feeling. Mitch got me too! He is good. We Van's buyers are easier than shooting fish in a barrel.

I am in northern Md. and there are a couple of nice ones up the road in Pottstown, so if you want to see some that are completed, drop me a line.

Welcome to the community! I am one of those guilty RV builders Dave mentioned in Pottstown PA. Have Fun with the build, it goes quick :)

Last edited:
Adam:

I wouldn't sweat the workshop too much. You don't need to set up a shop that could get certified to do subcontract work on the JSF to build a 12. Order the kit...

You will need a table (EAA table design is well documented). A good air drill, etc. (Avery tool kit will fill the bill), and time.

A drill press is nice but I doubt you'l need one very often and not to get started. EAA 186 just up the road has any of the stuff like that.

Biggest issue will be do you prime everything or not. That one has been beat to death on here already. If you do you will need a place to do it. Driveway is a well ventilated paint booth for such purposes.

I'm in Stafford if you get stuck or want to chat with someone about it. Join EAA 186 and you will find a number of RV builders. The -12 is easy to build compared to the other Van's designs so with the number of RV's flying in N VA you should never have to look forward to advice. Most of it you will probably want to take.

Richard

RV-12

I live in Myerstown, Pa. and also have a 12 I built as an EAB. Depending on where in Northern Virginia you are we are probably about 3 hours away.

Welcome!

Hey Adam,

Welcome to the northern VA RV consortium.....best wishes on the build! EAA chap 186 is right in your neighborhood.... Check them out!:)

YOL BOLSON!!!!

Thanks all for the feedback.

So a couple of key decisions that were made already

1- reach out to the EAA guys at chapt 186
2- decided to just go ahead and place the order (did so this morning)
3- went with Cleveland tools kit
4- will likely not be priming. This is based on seeing Mitch's plane over at St Mary's. even being closer to the salt water, he has had no corrosion issues.

oh, and to be clear, the shop issue is primarily a few years of built up junk and kids bikes etc that need to be cleaned out to make room.

Hi Adam,

I'm in Norther VA (Reston area). Have been reading VAF while contemplating a 12. If you ever want or need an extra pair of hands or some company, let me know.

Good luck with the build. Bob

Were do you fly out of Dave, I am in Bel Air form Harford county 0w3 but not in my RV12 yet.... it will be awhile.

Peter

Back