camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2021, 12:18 PM

Default R&R vs R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyboy View Post
I was looking for advice from someone who had a “short” leg mount and has installed the “long” leg mount and gear. Van told me it could be 6 months or longer to get the new mount and gear. Does the new mount match up with old bolt holes? Thanks for any help!
Hey Fox Bravo,
I agree wholeheartedly with repair vs replace. There are plenty of talented welders in Central FL, I used to live there.
Years ago I R&R'd my Conical mount RV4 short gear for a Dynafocal short gear in lieu of installing a Hot Rod 0-320. I chose to remain short gear as I wanted min down time, easy swap hole for hole, same legs and fairings, brake lines etc. A guy on this site swapped me even including legs as he wanted everything matched. I broke protocol and powder coated the new legs and mount bright red and reinstalled with the new engine.
Easy peasey..
I've flown numerous RV4's with long/short/bent and otherwise landing gear. Yes, Long Gear Fours land a bit better in 3 point, get off a tad quicker due to the increased AOA and look better, otherwise it's moot. My home strip in FL back then was 1500' of rough, soft turf with trees. No worries.
Arguably the short gear has better forward visibility, lighter weight (by a smidge) less drag and lower cost to keep or repair rather than replace.

It all boils down to the $$$.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 03-31-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:07 PM

Talking Soft turf

Smokey...your last strip was soft turf? Really??? Did it have gopher holes too?

It seems that someone with less aviation skills than yourself would get stuck in a field like that...(while trying to launch a 10 ship)...

Yes, and that someone would BE ME!!!!!
Exempt but paid
Old 04-02-2021, 11:34 AM

Default Engine mount cracks

I had cracks on my RV-6 engine mounts possibly aggravated by flying into uneven grass strips. I pulled the engine and engine mount and got it welded up along with Van's supplemental gusset kit. It was not that hard or expensive to do. The trick is to find a knowledgeable qualified welder. That was maybe 5 years ago - haven't had any problems with it since.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Default Short Mount

I have a short gear leg engine mount with gear legs - Dynafocal and it had an O-320 hanging on it. I recently swapped to the long mount/gear leg set-up.

RV4 purchased flying - 2019
Livonia, Michigan