What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 cockpit for larger pilot

I am 6'1" and 220 and I flew two of them for years... I took the seat pan out and put a the cushion on the floor behind the spar, but I fit comfortably with the seat pan... I just like sitting low... It would all depend on where your height is at, and where the rudder cables are setup.. Moving the rudder pedals foward to the footwells makes a HUGE difference...

My gut says you would fit, but a Rocket you would fit GREAT!!!! ;)

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I had a 6'4 220lb pilot in the BACK of my -4 and he fit just fine :D

I also have a 6'5 225 friend who has sat in the front seat of the -4 and the fit was cozy but good enough that he wants to get checked out in it.

I think the biggest problem you will find is if you want to do any acro with a 'chute. I had a problem with my softie backpack 'chute pushing me too far forward. I have since gone to a Strong seat pack designed for the RV. I'm 6'2 and it puts me fairly close to the top of the canopy. All depends on how much of you is leg and how much torso. ;)

RV 4 comfort

There are a few mods that I have read over the years.

Placing the roll bar and front seat to the rear a few inches.

Raising the canopy an inch or two. Seen this done several ways.

I'm 6'5" and fit in my -4. The key seems to be how much of your height is your "sitting" height or how long your legs are. I moved the seat back about an inch in the front. You are limited in how much you can do this without major mods due to cross brace interference of canopy with roll bar, rear stick with seat back, and other issues. I sit on thinner cushion and with headset I almost touch the canopy. A strong gust will have my head contact the canopy.

It is snug and I have standard instrument panel (no lower extension) and legs just clear the bottom. I've flown 1100 mile days without too much fatigue but find 3 hour legs are about my limit before I need to get out and stretch. That is comfortable range with reserves so it's not really a limitation.

Bottom line is: probably you can fit but it will be snug. I'm 220 lbs.
Best way to find out is to sit in one.

RV-4 larger pilot

I'm 6'3" and 230'lbs. I just barely fit in the 4. Seat pan is out, custom Oregon aero cusions help make it comfortable.

Save your money, buy an 8.

Tom

Back