What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: Bad ??? Oil Temp Sensor

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Bad ??? Oil Temp Sensor

So I headed to the very very very hot airport today to do a second test on the oil temp fixes completed over the past year. Decided to do some maneuvers and some touch and goes to see just how hot the oil/cht would get low and slow.......During the maneuvers stage I (doing a minimal climb)noted the oil temp climbing up to the 220 mark ...... at about 223 ..... BAM the temp on the Dynon Monitor hit 15 and bounced between 15 and 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen this before in fact it happened a year ago but unlike a year ago (it stayed at 15) when I leveled off and made the turn to head home it changed back to a temp of 213.......Wow....So I rechanged my plan from heading back to the hanager back to my original plan of doing touch and goes. In the pattern I noted every time the temp would go at or above 220 the monitor would go back to the 15 to 16 flip flop!!!! Climb out back to 15, on the down wind back to 213 to 215 base to final maintaining at 210 to 213. Climb out again at 220 plus the temp back down to 15/16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then on to low power on the down wind the temp would go back to reading the 213 mark.!!!!!!!!!! After landing and taxing back the oil temp turned back to 15 and stayed there until shut down. Turned the Dynon 120 back on and the temp was 213.....???? I checked the oil sump through the oil door with a laser pointer thermometer. It ranged from 213 to 225 depending on the spot that was measured. Pulled the dip stick and it was at about 190. :mad: CHT/OP//and even the OIL Temp were not out of line for this over the top hot day and the hard work I was asking the engine to perform. OP (oil Pressure) stayed in the low to mid 70's and the CHT's got to 400 on 2,3,4 briefly with #1 at 370. The CHT's stayed pretty much in the 360 to 380 range for most of the flight at power setting of 65 to 75 percent.

The oil temp probe is the GRT FT-LC-01 two wire and when I buy the next one it will be the fourth one used during the 140 hour life of the engine!!!!!!!

I will check the wire connections but I don't think that is the problem!!!!!!! But what do I know I just built the plane, had this problem before, and did stay at a Holiday Inn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will call Dynon and GRT Monday for advice. Probably will buy my fourth probe from GRT and see how long it will last. :confused:

Until then any ideas!!!!!!????

Last edited:
We had the original Dynon oil temp sensor fail (single wire, not the GRT 2-wire probe) on the RV-8 within the first 175 hours. It gave erratic, low readings. If I remember correctly it would drop to about 130-150 when it should've been closer to 200, and sometimes bounce around between abnormal low reading and correct reading. I put a new replacement Dynon sensor in (single wire probe), and it has been working fine since then. A quick search of the Dynon support forums shows a number of other folks having the same kind of problems with early failure of the oil temp sensors, a lot of them with the GRT probes :(

I added my own ground wire to the Dynon probe (stainless steel hose clamp around the body of the probe, with ground wire attached to the clamp)

Last edited:
Back