What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 down

Hal-san

Well Known Member
Patron
An RV 6 has gone down near Puyallup, Wa. apparently engine failed. Plane flipped over on emergency landing, Pilot OK.

Last edited:
Wives

My wife calls from work and asks "what kind of plane are you wanting to build"? I say "an RV" and she said "cold day in ****" "look at the news" and then hangs up.. I guess I will keep trying.
Nice to see the pilot is O.K.
Chris
Bonney Lake WA

be sure to let her know that the engine that failed was likely the one certified part on the plane. Of course then she'll just say no to all flying so I'll just shut up now.:D

Glad to hear the pilot is safe.

My wife calls from work and asks "what kind of plane are you wanting to build"? I say "an RV" and she said "cold day in ****" "look at the news" and then hangs up.. I guess I will keep trying.
Chris
Bonney Lake WA

Ouch! That's going to leave a mark.
I think that might be spousal abuse.

Keep your dream alive.

Chris
Bonney Lake WA

Time for a new wife. Better yet, find several hundred accident reports of whatever car she drives and tell her that her horse will be there in the morning.

Last edited:
Chris
Bonney Lake WA
I'm sure you can find a "Cessna" sticker somewhere... if you can live with the shame. :D

TODR

worked for me

hahahahaha - that's awesome... "Time for a new wife"..

My ex was just like that for 28 years. 6 years later I met my new wife who is now helping me on THE 7! This one drills, deburs, dimples, countersinks, primes and rivets her own parts. I also having her running the band saw and she still has 10 fingers. The down side is, all the rides I used to get from the local RVers, now go to her!:eek: Can't blame them, though. She is MUCH better lookin' than I am!:cool:

I'm very glad the pilot walked away from this accident. From the looks of the pics, it could have been bad news. Obviously a cool head prevailed. Anyone know who it is?

Better yet, find several hundred accident reports of whatever car she drives and tell her that her horse will be there in the morning.

It's true. Every day here in the USA there are 130 deaths due to automotive accidents. If the press tried to cover all of these stories they would not have time for any other news. So, when there is an airplane accident, they run the story because it is an event that doesn't happen very often.

My ex was just like that for 28 years. 6 years later I met my new wife who is now helping me on THE 7! This one drills, deburs, dimples, countersinks, primes and rivets her own parts. I also having her running the band saw and she still has 10 fingers. The down side is, all the rides I used to get from the local RVers, now go to her!:eek: Can't blame them, though. She is MUCH better lookin' than I am!:cool:
Yep, she is MUCH better lookin' than you!

Same goes with my wife, she has either bucked or driven one third of the rivets in our -9! She is also the one who laid on her back and bucked my foreskin while the other RV builders stood around and watched. :eek:

Last edited:
Very glad he walked away. We've had a bad run of accidents lately up here in the NW.

Chris
Bonney Lake WA

Compared to other hobbies, building airplanes is probably one of the safest I know of. You can even better your odds by wearing eye and hearing protection when appropriate. Besides that, she will always know where you are and what your doing.

Save the flying it debate until you're done. :D

Cold day in h@@@

No debate necessary - stay the course, finish and fly the aircraft. If she still doesn't get it by that time then that is really sad but don't let it stop you. That aircraft can last you a lifetime - (you'll have to fill in the ending of this sentence). Stay the course!!!

Looking at the pics, all I can say is he was incredibly lucky! Looks like the ground is moderately steep, so how do you put it down gently on a 30% slope? Uphill? Probably stall first. Parallel to the slope? Puts you into a steep downhill turn or if level, the uphill wingtip will catch and spin the plan around. The clearcut is too fresh for the new seedlings to slow the plane down much and soften the impact. Stumps will stop you cold; in this area, even though the trees that were removed in the logging were second (or 3rd) growth, second growth stumps are often 24" or more.

Very, very lucky.

It's probably a bad idea to put a plane down in an old clearcut if the the engine quits. The ground is torn up by logging, there is often slash (broken tops, small logs, limbs, sometimes even a turned up stump) scattered or piled across the area. No matter how skilled you are, the odds are the plane will flip. And those stumps are awfully hard. If desperate, you could try for a skid trail, but if the ground has much slope to you'll catch a wingtip and even if it is flat, there could be a high stump. Plus, skid trails often have water bars, a portion of the trail scooped out to channel water off the trail to reduce erosion. These will flip you, too.

And who is there to witness the accident and call for help?

Even paved roads through timber may not be a good place. Forest roads are narrow, often designed for one way traffic. If it is a straight stretch of two lane road through a clearcut you might have a chance.

A better site over timber might be 10-20 ft. tall saplings; i.e. a 10-20 year old clearcut. At least then, the impact will be lessened by the small trees. Again, you'll probably flip. Could still have one of those trees break as the plane flips and a broken stem come through the canopy.

Lastly, when flying over mountainous country, give yourself some extra altitude margin, especially if IFR. One of the forest districts I worked on had had several plane crashes over the years. They were always just below the ridge, or they just missed flying past the mountain by a couple hundred feet.

Last edited:
My impression from the pictures is that the pilot used more skill than luck during the "landing" sequence of the event. The fact that he walked away without a scratch is evidence that he impacted at a very slow speed and level attitude. In other words, he "flew the plane as far into the crash as possible."

Nice job, and I hope we will hear from the pilot soon.

Back