What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FPS Flap Positioning

mcattell

Well Known Member
I am considering using one of the FPS Flap Positioning systems for flap deployment. I also was planning on installing a Ray Allen position sensor that would connect to the EFIS for flap position indication. Does anyone have both of these installed in their airplane? I don't have either yet and am wondering if there's room to attach both sensors to the flap motor shaft.

There's room for both if you drive the Ray Allen position sensor off the Flap Actuator Weldment rather than the Flap Motor Shaft.
Steve

Why go to the trouble and complexity. Count out three seconds(one one thousand etc) and that's half flap count out four more and that is full flap. Plus all you have to do is look over your shoulder and see how far they are down. You are just adding more build time, more money, more weight and more chances for something to fail. KISS is good. Don

Or an OFPSS system?

Why not use something like my OFPSS? Its an optically driven system that presents some significant advantages and is lighter and faster responding.

All good suggestions

Thanks for all the good suggestions. In my 40 year old Cessna I have a manual switch and round gauge with a needle. It works most of the time but I do have to tap the face of the gauge quite often when the needle sticks. I was hoping to have better on the RV but I suppose it is harder to easily see flap position on a Cessna. Then there's the whole issue of eyes out in front of the cockpit. I'll have to comtemplate this some more. This isn't the first time I've been accused of liking my electronic gizmos too much.

Then there's the whole issue of eyes out in front of the cockpit.

Let me tell you about eyes out in front of the cockpit. Was at a fly in at a grass strip here in Idaho and a guy in a Cub on amphib floats was parked about 1500' from the departure end. He cranked up and didn't look right or left and just started to pull out on the runway. Another plane was on the take off roll and three people on each side of the Cub tried to get his attention. One brave soul leaped up on one float and finally got him to stop. There was less than ten feet to spare when the other plane went by.
You need to have your head on a swivel at all times especially in the pattern. It only takes a second to glance at your flaps so it is a non issue. There are only three basic flap settings you need. Half flaps on downwind, full flaps base to final and 15 degrees for a short field take off that can be had by lining the flap up with the aileron in full down deflection. Any more than that and your working way too hard in the pattern.

Back