Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2022, 12:32 PM

I donít care what it is worth, Iím not selling. In fact it would be better from an annual personal property tax standpoint if they were worthless. I enjoy building and built as much for the process as the finished RV-8, although I canít say the flying isnít amazing.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:49 PM

Default Oh well...

If the dollar value of my 7 declines, I wonít mind a bit. My heirs will be taking the hit, not me, and I know that they donít care...😜
Bendix FI
Hartzell BA CS
Dual Pmags
Skyview
2022 dues gladly paid
Old 05-22-2022, 10:02 PM

Default Well, Hereís How We Saw It

First, I think I’ve met exactly one guy building experimentals as an investment. He built Glassairs for sale and did OK, especially with the boost from his marijuana sales. A friend built a high $ certified airplane as an investment and it paid off, kind of. At least after his death from cancer it paid off for his widow. But we ran a business together, doing restoration, maintenance and modifications on racing, aerobatic, antique, classic and other special interest aircraft. We studied what airplanes and other things are worth and arrived at this…. “An item is worth what you can get someone to pay you for it. If you think it’s worth more than that, that’s why you still have it.” And oh boy, mine and my wife’s 401k are plummeting like free falling ball bearings. And we’re pretty much OK. I hope. And neither of us regrets any of the bucks we put into our airplanes and hangar. Totally worth it!

Last edited by JDeanda : 05-22-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:08 AM

Smile I was blessed

To have the opportunity thru hard work, good health and stubborn perseverance to live my early childhood dream of a career in aviation. After more than 55 years of varied aircraft starting with a 65 hp Luscombe to 4-engine Boeings and retiring from two flying careers I am thankful for my retirement allowing me the opportunity to actually build and fly my personal aircraft with no longer being just a name/crew number on some flight schedule board.

I choose to regulate my standard of living to afford our ever-increasing
costs to operate my RV-9A or my trusty old restored 1941 Taylorcraft (that is actually a year older than I am) and is a welcome form of aviation therapy to associate with fellow homebuilt/classic pilot friends.

Just like my guns - they will be with me until they pry them from my cold,dead hands...
Exempt but proud contributor
Jerry Kinman, VAF 170
Keller, TX (T67)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:02 AM

I always find it fascinating how similar in background we all are. 55 years flying, built a RV8 the I currently fly the heck out of. First airplane was a 1946 Taylorcraft, bought in 1969 for $1100, restored in 1970 sold 1in 1973. bought same airplane back in 2008 and restored for a second time. Flown everything from the Tcraft to A330. Favorite airplane Beech 18. Freight Dog pilot.

At 71 I am just glad to be flying. Many friends are gone or lost their medical.

Price fluctuation in Airplanes, Stock markets and housing always stabilize. Panic created by TV gurus on CNBC and other platforms are just for entertainment.

Hard work helps , but dumb luck and chance has more to do with life than we all like to admit.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
I always find it fascinating how similar in background we all are. 55 years flying, built a RV8 the I currently fly the heck out of. First airplane was a 1946 Taylorcraft, bought in 1969 for $1100, restored in 1970 sold 1in 1973. bought same airplane back in 2008 and restored for a second time. Flown everything from the Tcraft to A330. Favorite airplane Beech 18. Freight Dog pilot.

At 71 I am just glad to be flying. Many friends are gone or lost their medical.

Price fluctuation in Airplanes, Stock markets and housing always stabilize. Panic created by TV gurus on CNBC and other platforms are just for entertainment.

Hard work helps , but dumb luck and chance has more to do with life than we all like to admit.
Very well said Michael. It always amazes me how similar many of our stories are. I also was a twin Beech freight dog pilot prior to my airline career and it started my love affair with tailwheel airplanes. My current (6th) RV is an RV6 kit I bought used, and will be my last. This was done for my lovely wife who doesnít like the back seat. I wonít be selling this one, so I donít care what the ďmarketĒ says it is worth. Iíve told each of my four grandchildren that the first one to get a pilotís license will be given my airplane - when I determine they can safely fly it. Iíve regretted selling every RV airplane that I have sold - after the sale. I wonít be making that mistake again. I havenít checked my portfolio balance since January, and donít intend to.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022