Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2022, 09:24 PM

1 month shy of 9 years from tail kit to first flight. I think the hardest part for me was the $$ after the fuse kit was underway, coupled with economic downturns etc it stalled my build.
Finally overcame those hurdles and wrapping up my final assembly I was kinda overwhelmed that Iíld never be able to afford to fly it. Now the building was complete I had hangar, insurance and now fuel costs.
I slightly recall the $5+ fuel at the time of my test phase was daunting. On the other hand the test flying and tinkering was way more memorable than the $$ burned through the tanks. As it turns out I canít fly the RV enough, work and family tend to limit my flying more than anything. In the meantime the RV keeps me smiling and shrinking time and distance.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:43 PM

I see no benefit to becoming the richest corpse in the graveyard. Those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing are not in my tribe.
Waiting on an RV-14 kit delivery
Old 05-22-2022, 06:30 AM

Default Aviation

Aviation has given me way, way, more than its cost to play.
The wonderful people I’ve had the pleasure to meet over the years have been the best.
Building airplanes has been a life time passion. As a kid I’d dream of flying off a grass pasture in a plane that I would build someday. Hundreds of builds,, starting with folded paper taught me weight and balance, faster, slower designs.
Who woulda thought,,, a kid with not much academic kills could have made a living out of his passion. It’s been a good run.
75 years old now and flying the time off my new (3rd) RV8.
Very Blessed
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 05-22-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:51 AM

If you're building for an investment, you're building for the wrong reasons IMO. If my RV was worth zero by the time I'm ready to hang up the headphones, I'm ok with that. It's been a priceless experience, learning, building and flying it along with all the contacts and friends I'm made by being part of this community.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 05-22-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
If you're building for an investment, you're building for the wrong reasons IMO. If my RV was worth zero by the time I'm ready to hang up the headphones, I'm ok with that. It's been a priceless experience, learning, building and flying it along with all the contacts and friends I'm made by being part of this community.
I completely agree Ross.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 AM

All very true and to the point, yet with the current market and resale value, it is very enticing not to get tempted to sell and start another project/plane. Of course, looking at those lead times I quickly come back to reality and want to hold on t what I have even more.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 05-22-2022, 09:20 AM

In my house, there are “dollars” and then there are “airplane dollars”

Pretty sure we all know the difference.

THIS life is one pass high speed pass. . .

Roughly 30,000 days. Sadly less, for too many.

As my good friend said sitting in my hangar one day as he was entering in to his final battle with Multiple Myeloma. . .

Never put off joy!
RV8 - 81373 Adoption Complete / Beautification in Progress
RV14A - Build/Kit - SOLD

12/22/21

Last edited by EXTAAFLY : 05-22-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:20 AM

There's some seriously inspirational stuff on this thread- love it.

Did a look at GAMA production stats....for Q1 '22 Cessna made 20 Skyhawks and 9 Skylanes....Cirrus only delivered 8 SR-20's and 60 SR-22's....not a single Bonanza was produced.

https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads...Report0519.pdf

From what I've heard that's with 1-2 year waits on new planes....so if that's their output when demand is high I hate to think what's gonna happen if/when demand falls.

With the bulk of the GA fleet at 50+ years old, I think the scarcity of airworthy rides along with the high cost of replacement is gonna at some point put a floor under pretty much any plane....especially ones with the capabilities and performance of a Vans.

Like many of you have said, building a plane is an investment in the experience and friendships, not money....but thought these stats were pretty interesting.

Have a great Sunday.
Dues paid 12/21
Old 05-22-2022, 12:12 PM

Perfect time to buy the dip.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
I agree with this, I dont plan on selling something I spend 3-5 years building as long as it meets my mission. That being said, planes are too high for what they are worth atm so lowers prices on things would be welcome.