Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
I spoke with Greg, he explained that the situation is way more complicated. VANs depends on their sub-contractors who are unable to provide ETA due to many various reasons one of which is lack of staff. Despite they now expanding the capacity of their production the bottle neck are sub-contractors who are one of the main reasons for delays in our kits delivery

Sure you may ask - why not to change sub-contractor - problem is that it will take even longer to get quality aviation product which will pass VANs QA. I remember story with RV10 landing gear mounts when all orders (including my) where delayed because of the quality of welding by experienced contractor. QA is the king.

I wish VANs can provide all of us with bi weekly updates but my guess is that these updates will look the same as in quoted above web link for order status page.

Greg said in his video that they will keep updating and communicating so I am sure they will update all of us as soon as some news are available.

I run small business related to electronic and embedded engineering. We also highly depend on our contractors. At present moment we wait for small components 26-28 weeks lead time. This is for small $5 component and we can not release product to customers. We now wait for some other components which we ordered from world known supplier and lead time is 52 weeks. Our customers are also waiting and also go crazy Everything in this world went crazy with this virus

I think supplier problems are fair to extend lead times. But, emp kit is 95% just aluminum and rivets. I'd be fine getting the kit minus welded or 3rd party parts, and receiving those at a future date.

Great videos by the way, your YouTube keeps me entertained while I wait!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmanton View Post
Great videos by the way, your YouTube keeps me entertained while I wait!
Thank you for your feedback!
RV10 (#42078)(C-FFVX) - Started my build on Oct 31, 2019
Working on Firewall Forward (June 04, 2022)
RV10 (#42756) - Empennage kit on order (Feb, 2022)
My RV10 Build Vlog
My Instagram
Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISRAREF View Post
It also doesn’t help they don’t go quite in order either. They pick a kit and do a bunch, then do another kit and a bunch of those, etc… From the reports it isn’t like they go through each Sales order in order and keep changing kits. That would be a lot slower than grouping similar kits together at once
It seems to be true that grouping the kits would be faster than going in order, but I wonder if that's really the case. Van's did it one way for decades successfully. Things have been going downhill since the change to batching. It's possible that management made some poor decision in the process change and ended up amplifying the impact of supply issues.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:40 PM

It has to be a huge time savings for Vans. Say, batch by five kits. Build five crates. Pull five pieces of each part. Walk one time to crate. I would imagine a 50% reduction in crating time per kit. The down side of course is a possible 500% delay for the guy due the first kit, plus the customer delay of waiting for the previous kits from different airplanes batched in front of him.

PPL-VFR
RV-10 Builder

Empennage ordered 6/7/2021 - still waiting
Wings ordered 7/16/2021 - Received 4/28/2022
Fuselage ordered 8/25/2021 - received 4/28/2022
Finishing kit ordered 8/25/2021

Dues Paid 2022
Old 02-03-2022, 08:20 PM

Ordered all four kits June of 2021 to try and avoid any price increases. I have not received anything to date.

1% Complete!

I have all the kits except the finish kit at this time.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_C View Post
Ordered all four kits June of 2021 to try and avoid any price increases. I have not received anything to date.
Just curious, what does the kit status page say for you? https://vansaircraft.com/kitstatus/
Old 02-04-2022, 12:17 AM

Ordered the RV-10 empennage (plus QB kits) just before Oshkosh. Was urged to pay for empennage at the beginning of November as crating was imminent, and I did so. Today the status page still shows no crating date for empennage, just "parts being produced." However, there are distant and broad date windows listed for crating of QB wing and fuselage.

I've seen posts elsewhere of May orders being received now (RV-14?) I cannot fault Vans one bit for grouping like orders in attempts to keep up with demand (which doubled in 2021, they say.) Actually I'm surprised they weren't doing that already. Perhaps it wasn't at all warranted before this overwhelming demand sneaked up on them?

Last edited by jimbom : 02-04-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmanton View Post
Just curious, what does the kit status page say for you? https://vansaircraft.com/kitstatus/
It just says "parts being produced" by all four kits.

1% Complete!

I have all the kits except the finish kit at this time.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Empennage Kit

I ordered mine last August 22 and like you all am still waiting - I also ordered the QB for the wings and the fuselage too - they have now been pushed back to April 23. It must be great for Vans to have such a strong customer base and very full sales pipeline - I just hope it improves for us as the customer and I am sure they are doing every thing they can to fulfill the back orders too!!!

Cheers
Old 02-06-2022, 02:50 PM

Default Wing Order: July 27, 2021

Still in production.

RV-10
Tailcone: 90%
Wings: In Progress!
Fuse: Ordered
Finish: Ordered
FWF: Ordered
Engine: Ordered
Prop: Ordered