What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS Prop RV 3

Paul Walter

To add to the VNE responses to the RV 3 I have considered a CS prop. I believe there are a few with Whirl wind CS props how ever I am very skeptical of composite props. My RV 6 is on its 3rd Catto prop - all cracked (2 when I owned it and new owner has also had one replaced. Catto where very good to deal with and replaced at no charge each time.) My RV 7A had an MT CS prop with composite blades and we had to replace two blades - quite costly so I want to go aluminum if possible. Do the RV 3 builders think an MT aluminum CS prop would be a good fit and how much heavier than the Whirlwind - 151 ?. Our 3 has a FP Catto and it is also the second prop, one again the first one cracked.

Where did these cracks occur and how much time on them? Pictures would be nice to see. Inquiring Catto owners would like to know...

First, recognize that Catto and Whirlwind prop blades are very different - the Catto’s are wood with a composite overlay. Whirlwinds are all-composite. I have yet to hear of a crack in a Whirlwind - not sure how it would happen, having seen them internally while being built. So....different animals.

My opinion is that a metal blade C/S is too heavy for an RV-3. I know they are out there, and they must make the nose feel pretty heavy, whereas a light-nose RV-3 is just a delight.

We have a Whirlwind 151 (no longer available new) on our RV-3, and love it (despite a tendency to occasionally spit grease), and a WW-300 on the RV-8 right now. Metal Hartzell on all the other piston planes - very reliable, and work well on larger craft.

Paul

Th cracks were in the nickel leading edge on the first two replacements on our RV 6, not sure where for the guy we sold it to but I presume the same. If the Whirl wind 151 is no longer in production is there an alternative composite CS out there ?.

Also I forgot to add the MT blade on the 7A was all composite construction I believe and it cracked, the guy I sold it to also had one crack and he fitted a blended aero foil Hartzel - problem solved. He did operate out of a lot of out back landing strips so maybe the MT composite wasn't suited for those conditions perhaps.

Also looking for new prop...

I've been contemplating a new FP prop for my O-290D2 RV3.

I've come across two websites for Whirlwind propellors. One is for WhirlWind Propellers Corporation in California. The other is for Whirl Wind Aviation in Ohio. Both sell propellors. Are their products equivalent? I'm flummoxed. :confused:

I've been contemplating a new FP prop for my O-290D2 RV3.

I've come across two websites for Whirlwind propellors. One is for WhirlWind Propellers Corporation in California. The other is for Whirl Wind Aviation in Ohio. Both sell propellors. Are their products equivalent? I'm flummoxed. :confused:

One is for the C/S prop. The other is ground adjustable.

Same owner.

One is for the C/S prop. The other is ground adjustable.

Same owner.

Different owners, actually, but the same designer! Ohio sells and services the Constant Speed props. San Diego sells and services the fixed pitch and ground adjustables (and wind tunnel, airboat, drone, etc props.....). everything is designed in San Diego by the founder, Jim Rust. Components (blades and hubs) are all made in San Diego - Ohio assembles the C/S speed stuff and sells/ships from there.

Confused? That's the way the business grew.....;)

Thanks guys!

I'm definitely interested in the ground adjustable props. Can anyone suggest the appropriate length for an RV3 with an O-290? Most information I find refers only to 320/360s. My current prop is a wooden 68/67 and there's plenty of room to go longer if it's mechanically/aerodynamically sound to do so.

We have a -3 with a 0-290 D2 with a 68 x68 Cato prop and it seams just about perfect. Static rpm is about 2200, and max cruise speed WOT I get about 2800 rpm. Looking for a spare prop while I get the Catto fixed (hanger rash)

Thank you for that information Ben. It's interesting that with the same engine and very similar prop, I can only get 2000RPM static and 2600RPM at WOT.

My RV-3B has an MT 2 blade CS prop in front of an IO-320. It climbs like a home sick angel, easily 2000fpm+. Top end isn't great, I'm one of the slower RVs on the field running around 165knots true.

Don't rule out a well designed FP wooden propeller. I had one of the early Clark Lydick Laminated Maple Performance Propellers on my RV3. The Anhedral Design. Granted, my -3 had high compression pistons and flow work by Lycon along with a few others goodies, but it would bust VNE at sea level _and_ my buddy in his Extra 300 couldn't stay with me on formation take offs. There was about 700 hrs of trouble free performance on that prop when I sold the airplane.

RV-3B, IO-320 with Catto 70/75 2 blade. One Pmag and one slick. Static RPM around 2200. Normal climb at 105-110 KIAS is 1800 fpm and around 2400 RPM. I can climb above 2000 fpm if I go slower. Going through 12,500’ I see about 900 fpm at 110 KIAS. Fastest level speed I have seen is 177 KTAS at 8500’ (2700 rpm). Mid 160’s true at 2600 RPM 8-9,000’ and 7 gph. It will easily over rev in level flight at WOT below about 10k feet. I don’t know how much because I throttle back for red line. At 13,500 I get 170 KTAS at 8.0 gph ROP and 2700 RPM. Down low I can sightsee at 100 KIAS and 3 gph.

Back