What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Prep Question - Kirker products

Fearless

Well Known Member
Due to not having deep pockets I have decided to try to paint my plane. Since Smart Shoppers is close by and RocketBob likes the Kirker products I am leaning in that direction. I plan on using their Perfect Prime high build primer/surfacer and Kirker's recommedation is to use a self-etching primer on bare metal before using Perfect Prime. Kirker doesn't make a self etching primer currently so what would be a good product without breaking the bank for a gallon or so. I used the Napa 7220 while building components but don't see myself using spray cans on the whole plane. I have a cheap Craftsmen quart spray gun that I will be using with the primer.

I've purchased the Kirker paints and primer and plan on doing my first painting in a week or so. It is a little pricy but I'm using the Sherwin Williams G60P2 wash primer as the first coat. It's one that Vans recommends. I was worried about spraying it over the NAPA 7220 so I tested it and it works fine and I couldn't tell any difference over bare scuffed or non-scuffed metal. It's really tough compared to the NAPA.

IMG_2238.JPG

I am using kirker also, I plan on using their enduro prime epoxy primer on my bare metal parts, after I prepped the surface with prekote and scotchbrite. Then topcoating with their base/clear coat system. On my glass and a couple of parts already painted I plan on using their 2k primer thinned for a seal coat.
Paint should be arriving this week.

bird

Kirker doesn't make a self etching primer currently so what would be a good product without breaking the bank for a gallon or so.

Not true. Enduro prime is a direct-to-metal primer. Works well, have had no problems with it.

Not true. Enduro prime is a direct-to-metal primer. Works well, have had no problems with it.

It may be DTMN, but is it self-etching?

This bit of the data sheet sort of implies it isn't....

A chemical pre-treatment (such as Kirker?s R-6820 Self-Etching Reducer) may help to further enhance adhesion over bare metal. Though not required, this etching acid/solvent blend should be applied one section at a time with a clean cloth, and then wiped down with another clean, dry cloth.

Enduro should work fine, I plan on doing the treating with prekote and scotchbrite.

bird

It may be DTMN, but is it self-etching?

This bit of the data sheet sort of implies it isn't....

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many DTM primers that are self-etching any more, probably for VOC reasons. That said I've been alot more impressed with Enduro prime than I am Dupont Variprime, which is self etching and 5X more expensive.

I was going by what one of Kirker's technicians told me in an email response. I'll take a look at their Enduro primer. I'm wondering about weight of the Enduro primer, than the Perfect Prime and the Ultra-Glo base and clear system on the plane.

I have Enduro Primer being delivered Thursday. I can't wait to get spraying! Thanks Bob for the info.

I had been planning on priming the interior surfaces (emp and fuselage) of my RV with AZKO but now I'm leaning towards Enduro Prime as it seems like it's nearly as durable, if not as durable and significantly less toxic.

Do I need a supplied air respirator with Enduro Prime or is a good 3M P100 respirator sufficient?

Do I lose anything choosing Enduro Prime over AZKO?

Scuff with Scotchbrite, dimple, clean with acetone and then spray the primer? Is this the best process? Can I/should dimple after spraying the primer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Kirker

I had been planning on priming the interior surfaces (emp and fuselage) of my RV with AZKO but now I'm leaning towards Enduro Prime as it seems like it's nearly as durable, if not as durable and significantly less toxic.

Do I need a supplied air respirator with Enduro Prime or is a good 3M P100 respirator sufficient?

Do I lose anything choosing Enduro Prime over AZKO?

Scuff with Scotchbrite, dimple, clean with acetone and then spray the primer? Is this the best process? Can I/should dimple after spraying the primer?

Thanks!

No expert, but I've sprayed a bit of Kirker EnduroPrime and UltraGlo. I like the products.
Several pages on my blog may be useful. Look under "Your Favorite Links" for these.
Paint
Cut&Buff
Epoxy & Paint Calculator.

You may be ok with a respirator filter with #60926 filters. They are low VOC paints but I prefer a Hobby Air because I know the air is clean.

As far as prep, please read my Paint page.

No experience with Akzo but both as 2K Epoxy. I know EnduroPrime is pretty tough once it cures.

These are fiberglass sprayed with EnduroPrime and UltraGlo Single Stage.
20200819_182817.jpg
20200408_114456.jpg

Last edited:
I have no experience with Kirker products but let me say that cleanliness is super important. Make sure that anything you plan on painting is clean. If you can a little 180 grit sand paper on a DA sander will help with adhesion.

Back