What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad Pro 12.9 or 9.7 glare

whd721

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with either the 12"or 9" iPad pro?
I am struggling with horrendous glare on my current iPad air. The claim from Apple is a 40% glare reduction for the iPad Pro 9 ". I am not sure if the benefit is worth the cost.

Any comments on the "Best" location to mount an iPad in a RV9A tip-up cockpit to minimize glare?

Look on Youtube.
There are a few videos I watched that demonstrated the lower glare of the Pro units. Also a few photos can be found if you Google it.
The difference the Pro unit makes is very noticeable. It is better, but is it good enough for the cockpit? The folks demonstrating were
not pilots.

Jeff

Does anyone have experience with either the 12"or 9" iPad pro?
I am struggling with horrendous glare on my current iPad air. The claim from Apple is a 40% glare reduction for the iPad Pro 9 ". I am not sure if the benefit is worth the cost.

Any comments on the "Best" location to mount an iPad in a RV9A tip-up cockpit to minimize glare?

I'm pretty sure Vlad can give you a PIREP on the iPad Pro in a RV9a.

No matter what display you have if its in the direct sun it will be hard to read. I use a newer gen ipad mini and love it but I also have a kroger sun shade and I mount my ipad such that it is protected by my glare shield as you can see from the picture below. This is an ideal position for me since I can see it in almost any situation and it's easy to read/use foreflight. You can't see it very well but I have an articulating RAM mount attached to the side post that holds the ipad mini back under the glare shield. I also have USB power and the vent behind it to help keep the Ipad charged and cool. To me this is the perfect position for an IPad in the 9.

2015-10-04%2B08.52.04.jpg

iPad Air doesn't have an anti reflective screen
iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 12.9 do have anti reflective coatings.
iPad Pro 9.7 has the best anti reflective coating available from Apple.

My experience,
iPad air on a Ram mount infront of glove box (similar to the pic by Zuldarin except on right side). This was almost useless due to glare. Next was a 9 iPad pro in the same position, again near useless due to glare and bifocals.

Finally added a Kroger Sunshade (Best improvement so far) and the 9 iPad Pro on my right knee board. This is the best I have come up with so far. Greatly reduced the glare effect and still close enough to read details on the screen.

YMMV

My experience - -

9.7" IPad Pro works very well in direct over the shoulder sunlight ( no shade ).

+1 for the Nexus 7. I have two and haven't used paper for 3 years. note: the obstacle database is updated well before the paper.

Back