What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port

1Oldguy

Yes I know this horse has has been ridden alot buttttt I need to know, Has there been a revision of the static port location from the orginal RV6 plans? Having trouble with my altitude hold and the static port has come under consideration. Looking at a friends 9 yesterday and their static port was farther aft than mine is on the 6 as the plans showed. My system is all "Vans" as to plans. Thanks in advance for the help.
The 1Oldguy......:confused:

I recently converted my -6 from having the static port on the pitot tube to the conventional position as shown on the plans. I noticed that the -7 has the static port further aft, about one bulkhead, I believe. Anyway, the static port works great now in Van's recommended location per the plans. I'm not aware that Van's has modified the -6's recommended location.

I was recently beating my head against the wall with this same change from static on the pitot to "plans". It's an RV7A.

I remembered that there was a static "kit" that came in a plastic sealed bag, complete with hardware (plastic ware) and a single 8.5x11 sheet of instructions and drawing. I actually found it:eek: and installed it per plans. I then redid the testing and I still had errors. I went next door to my neighbor's very similar RV7A and his static source was 1 bulkhead back from mine. He said he did it according to plans and pulled out the big drawing with the rivet callouts for most of the plane on it. Sure enough that drawing had it 1 bulkhead behind where the single sheet included with the hardware had it:mad:

I ended up filing a flat onto the curved surfaces of both static ports and that got the error to be very consistently 3knots faster than calibrated, from 170kts to 70kts. I'm calling it good.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 120hrs

I installed SafeAir Static ports after looking at the Van's Static Kit I had. Van's kit had an instruction sheet with the location shown and several paragraphs decribing the install. Since I was going SafeAir I didn't read the Van's verbage closely (which says it's for the RV6). SafeAir instructions say to locate the port per your aircraft instructions so I did.

Wasn't untill after I'd installed the SafeAir ports that I saw the actual RV7 drawings showing the port one bulkhead further aft.

I was going to bondo up the hole and move them but a note to Van's Tech Support advised to leave them ...... quote ("I'd leave them where they are - the old 6 location works OK. They were moved back on the 8, and that was copied on the 9 then 7, but it's doubtful that it makes any difference).

Not flying yet but I'm guessing the guys at Van's gave me good advise.

pk

I recently converted my -6 from having the static port on the pitot tube to the conventional position as shown on the plans. I noticed that the -7 has the static port further aft, about one bulkhead, I believe. Anyway, the static port works great now in Van's recommended location per the plans. I'm not aware that Van's has modified the -6's recommended location.
I am also doing this change, from static on pitot to static per vans plans, on an older RV-6A. I have the static kit from Vans but the 1 page instruction sheet drawing is too small to show where the hole is. Dashed lines refer to what???

Can someone describe in words where to drill in terms of longeron and bulkhead surfaces.

Thanks.

I just installed my static ports a couple weeks ago according to the RV-6 Plans. I need to double-check the plans for the exact dimensions, but going from memory the port was 1" forward of the F-607 bulkhead rivet line and 2.5" below the longeron rivet line. Those dimesions may not be correct. Figure 8-15 in the manual has the correct dimensions.

I used the vans rivet static port, but put a flange on the inside to accept a 1/8" NPT fitting for the safeair plumbing. If I were to do it again, I would just proseal the flange in place and leave out the rivets. I'm concerned that the rivets may cause a slight change to the airflow. When I paint, I'll do my best to make that area smooth.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks you 'WingsOnWheels'

That figure, well actually all of the chapter 8 figure/photos are missing from my plans. Will try to round them up.

Last edited:
Found it, I guess my memory was correct:

Edit: By the way, those flanges are the fuel drain fitting flanges from Vans. They come already countersunk on the wrong side so I had to make a backing plate for the rivets.

Last edited:
Back