What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacks & Traffic

1Oldguy

Looking at buying a jack for my 6. Considering the screw jack for RV's in the Spruce catalog and the bar jack from ElDorado Aviation. Any one have a better idea or an opinion on my two choices?

Next I'm looking at an Zaon XRX to help my old eyes find traffic. Great tool for pointing out traffic or money better spent else where? All help appreciated and thanks in advance......the more I'm on here the more I like this group of RV folks :D.

Last edited:
Looking at buying a jack for my 6. Considering the screw jack for RV's in the Spruce catalog and the bar jack from ElDorado Aviation. Any one have a better idea or an opinion on my two choices?

Do a search on "jacking", and you'll probably find some threads where a lot of us are using inexpensive bottle jacks from Harbour Freight, converted with a plywood base and some struts. THey work great with the jack points on the wings, and allow trouble-free jacking and maintenance of the whole plane.

Paul

We bought a ZAON just over a year ago at Sun & Fun. Haven't found it yet. All I can figure is it must have accidentally fallen into the trash bin, much more likely than haveing been stolen from my hangar. Only other item that went missing was the catalist for our urathane paint for two Super Cubs. I'm pretty sure we were short shipped on the catalist.
We plan on purchasing another ZAON unless Dynon comes up with an add on feature for our Skyview like they did with transponder?

Options, options

I've got 3 different types of RV jacks on hand and all work well.

2uswqw8.jpg

In practice, I do tend to reach for this easily homemade jack to quickly raise a wheel off the floor.

2qszayh.jpg

Here's a post illustrating how I quickly fabricated my own version of a floor bottle jack using off-the-shelf-parts...AND without the need to weld anything:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=37662&highlight=diy+WING+JACK

Back