What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

breaker architecture discussion question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I'm going breakers, not fuses or VPX and I'm getting ready to wire my breakers into the panel.

I'm going with multiple short rows right of the MFD, rather than the one row to rule them all along the bottom.

Knuckols book recommends that for a stack of short rows you should group them so that the highest amp draw is on one row which the main feed goes to, then jumper vertically to the rest. The plan is to jumper them with a vertical brass bar attached via a #8 screw to each horizontal row.

With that goal in mind, I've come up with the following plan; the first number in the fraction is the row amp capacity, and the second number is the capacity excluding transient stuff. I realize that in practice, each row will draw much less that I have listed. This is just capacity of the breakers, which seems like a reasonable way to SWAG this.

I'm planning to bring the main feed into the 3rd row down.

I've tried to scatter essential stuff out so if a jumper connection fails and kills a whole row it won't leave me blind, and also tried to group these so that stuff I might want to be able to grab and kill quickly is easy to find without looking.

Based on those parameters I'd appreciate folks reviewing my plan. If you have any suggestions or critiques I'm all ears, but the holes are already in place, so the rows are what they are.

13/10

5 ALT FLD
5 A/P
3 TRIM

50/25-ish

7.5 SDBY BATT
20 PITOT HEAT
7.5 COM2
7.5 BOOST PUMP
7.5 FLAP

27.5/22.5

7.5 STRB LGHT
FLOOD LGHT (on strobe breaker)
5 LAND LGHT
5 TAXI LGHT
5 NAV LGHT
5 CABIN LGHT

30/15

7.5 COM1
5 NAV1
5 AHRS
5 XPDR
7.5 START

14/14

3 GAD27 ACFT INTERFC
3 GEA24 ENG. MONITOR
3 AUDIO PNL
5 PFD

13/13

5 MFD
5 G5
3 ELT
SPARE

10/10

5 R. SEAT HEAT
5 L. SEAT HEAT
SPARE

I have never been a fan of the old school brass bar approach to breakers - I have visions of something coming loose and falling on one of these bars, creating a short. I instead have a wire connection providing power to the breaker, the same wire gauge as the load side of the breaker. These wires come from forming pigtails with the main feed wire(s), the pigtails soldered then covered with heat shrink, and secured in the harness.

But, your plane so do what you want. Many seem to like the bar approach. I suggest you use good lock washers and torque seal.

Carl

just me

I used the bus bar approach, but I wasn't as anal as grouping by size. I grouped by function. here is my bus bar design and my grouping. Also note multiple wires feed the bus bar. I didnt want a wire to break and then lose power to bus bar. Power feed wire is double insulated and carefully routed. (Power feed is protected by larger ANL fuse on firewall)
I also used separate fuse box for things I would not need to reset in flight, or for things I didn't need to know had popped. The breaker for "test power" has been a Godsend.

What is not shown too well is the picture is that the bars have clear shrink tubing over all exposed copper.

Attachments

• 25856256-1114-4D0C-8712-CF91B20B1196.jpg
    25856256-1114-4D0C-8712-CF91B20B1196.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Back