What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have a "Before Closing Wing" checklist?

ToadMan8

I decided to build the right wing first so I didn't have to deal with the pitot tube and stall warner. I'm about to close it up, but I don't want to make my life horribly difficult later on due to lack of access.

One major concern is that I drilled two large holes (where / how big as Van's suggested in http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf) in each rib, but I don't have any idea what electrical gadgets I plan to install, hence I have no idea how much wire to run. Should I install large snap-bushings before I close them up, then fish the wire later? Light-weight conduit instead? I have long arms and small hands, if that helps ;)

Other than that, I wonder if I should have someone inspect the insides before I put on the final skins.

Anything else I should be thinking about right now?

Thank you so much!

As far as wiring goes, install snap-bushings and a string.
For everything else call an EAA tech counselor.

I have one for you to add to your check list. Check for left over items before closing. It sounds silly and obvious, but a friend closed his up, and as we were carrying the wing I heard a massive CLUNK. We tipped the wing and shook it. Out comes a Cleco. We carry the wing back inside, CLUNK. HAAAA! TWO cleco's!

Hmm...I need I need to change his call sign. Seems obvious now...CLECO!

Heck... leave the one bottom skin off like the QB wings are shipped and move on to the other wing for now. Can't hurt anything. :)

Yea,

But get ready for the hurt of riveting on that last skin.........:rolleyes:

My Bro looked like he had self harmed after we had finished.

Glad I picked the gun up first when we started building :D

Back