What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

V Speeds for RV-8 series

wera710

Well Known Member
Was just bouncing around the forum and realized there was no threads (or more accurately, I cannot find specific, focused threads that stick to the topic) on V speeds for the RV-8/RV-8A series. I've seen these kinds of posts in the other sections but so far, no luck here. Thinking that it would be a good topic to aid those thinking about which RV to buy/build and how they want to configure it.

With the understanding that every aircraft is configured differently, I would suggest that if you do post your numbers here, you preface it with aircraft specifics in a fixed, repeated format, which I will present below. We can leave out the hard V speeds that Van set (Vno, Vne, Va and Vfe) as those numbers will be the same across the spectrum. What I would like to see is speeds that reflect your own testing for your specific empty weights & engine type. To that end, I would suggest we present your TESTED numbers like this example :

A/C Type: (RV-8 or RV-8A)
Engine type: Model/HP Rating
Prop:
Empty Weight:
Demonstrated 75% Cruise speed @ Alt: (XXX knots @ XXXX ft)
Vy:
Vx:
Vs Gross:
Vs: Solo:
Vso Gross:
Vso Solo:
Vbg:

I would also ask we avoid going off topic (a curse that seems to pervade every forum when a specific question is asked where by post number four, the intent is completely LOST). I know, its hard guys, but lets try to give prospective builders hard data based on testing rather than devolve into a commentary about this or that configuration.

A/C Type: RV-8
Engine type: O-360/180 HP
Prop: Hartzell CS
Empty Weight: 1080
Demonstrated 75% Cruise speed @ Alt: 163 knots @ 7500 ft
Vy: 100 kts
Vx: 83 kts
Vs Gross: 58 kts
Vs: Solo: 55 kts
Vso Gross: 50 kts
Vso Solo: 50 kts
Vbg: 75 kts