What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Temps while climbing out LEAN

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I have posted some pictures below along with a brief discussion concerning the engine performance on my 9A. I feel compelled to do so because the more I fly this airplane; the more impressed I am with its performance. The performance of any aircraft has many contributing components that make it what it is. I know there are many topics I could discuss concerning the 9A design and the great performance this airplane provides. However, I would like to confine this discussion today to the engine performance I am seeing with my airplane and specifically to the cooling aspects of running it in the various stages of flight.

I built my 9A with the ECI IO-340. This is a stroked IO-320, same bore as a 320 but longer stroke. The firewall forward setup also includes Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust, forward facing cold air induction, one Slick mag and one Lightspeed Plasma III electronic ignition. The engine is turning a Catto 3-blade 68 X 72 fixed pitch prop. I chose this engine and prop combination after many discussions with Richard & Steve Fowler at America?s Aircraft Engines during several visits at Oshkosh and Sun n Fun and further discussions with Craig Catto of Catto Propellers. All the information coming out of ECI proved to me this was a perfect engine and prop setup for the RV9A. My experience is proving that belief to be justified.

So to set the stage for this discussion the pictures below show real world information on a flight this past Saturday, October 15, 2011. In the first picture (sorry for the blurry picture), the instruments are displaying a climb out to 9500' from my home airport heading to Springdale, AR. This climb out picture shows me to be around 7700'. This means I had been climbing out for around 6-7 minutes to that point.

10-15-2011%252520climbout.jpg

What I would like to focus on with this picture, and the next one, are the engine temperatures displayed at the bottom of the screen. This section of the screen shows most of the vital engine information.
Just to keep the information fresh remember I am climbing out at 7700? altitude. My airspeed is around 109-115 MPH (all speed indications are using statute MPH) and climbing anywhere from 370-660 FPM. Ok, before everyone starts ragging me about the climb out rate just note this; I was somewhat distracted when I snapped these two pictures. Because of that I let the climb angle relax while I took the pictures. I actually can and do see higher climb out rates, even at this altitude. That is my story and I am sticking to it! Well, anyway. . .

10-15-2011%252520climbout2.jpg

Getting back to the discussion about the engine performance, note the numbers for the CHT's and EGT?S. The CHT?s were between 343-346, the EGT'S were between 1159-1192. Also note the oil temp reading of 182 degrees. Ok, here is the point of my discussion. During this and all other climb outs I do not run the mixture FULL RICH. As stated above, I am running a fixed pitch prop. Because of this, I cannot gain full RPM on takeoff or climb out at FULL RICH. I can remedy this somewhat by leaning the mixture out during climb. This allows me to see around 2300-2400 RPM but I still cannot get the full RPM this engine can put out. As you can see on these pictures, I am getting 2330 RPM at 23.0 MAP which is getting me approximately 70-72% HP (this % HP is derived from tables provided by ECI and GRT).

Now, here is where my discussion gets to the point I wanted to make. I have had people bring to my attention the issue of leaning my engine out during climb out. The concern is that during such high power output the pistons need as much cooling as possible to keep them cool. Fuel flowing through the cylinders is the traditional way of cooling during climb out. The consensus is there is not sufficient enough air flow through the baffling and down through the cylinders to effectively cool the cylinders. Therefore, one should keep as much fuel flowing to these cylinders in order to provide adequate cooling.

Ok, I can understand this stance. I really do not have enough experience to dispute any sage who stands by this philosophy. Except. . . I do have my first hand experience with THIS engine. And what I am finding out about THIS engine is that it is a very cool running engine. Now to be honest, it is a young engine. I only have approx. 150 hours TT on it. Never the less, it truly is a cool engine (pun intended)! In most every situation it remains very cool. Now I don?t know if that is because my baffling is installed very well and that I have good air flow or if the metallurgic make up of this engine is such that it is efficiently dissipating heat, whatever the reason it is working very well.

With my fixed pitch prop not producing full HP at climb out I lean the engine off of FULL RICH in order to increase the RPM and hopefully gain more thrust. On this day I would estimate I had the red knob about 1/2 way out. Even with fairly aggressive leaning (Although still ROP!) I was still seeing EGT temps that were well below peak EGT?s (typically 1400-1410). In this case they were 208-248 below peak at 1159-1192.

Those EGT numbers are my point! Even with my somewhat aggressive leaning during climb out I still see very cool EGT temperatures. And less, someone reminds me, no I am not forgetting about the CHT temps. They are indeed also staying cool. Remember in this climb out they were still staying between 343-346 degrees. In fact, what is even more interesting is the tight span between cylinders. During all phases of flight I am finding all four cylinders are staying within just a few degrees of each other. I believe this is just as important an indicator of engine health as temperature. With all cylinders staying within a tight range I believe they are getting equal cooling across the entire spectrum of performance.

Ok, one last comment about this particular flight. I hate to just talk about climb out as I feel the true strength of my airplane is in its cruise performance. Now I know there are a great many speed merchants in the RV world that will look at my numbers and talk about how much more speed I can get out of this airplane. I hear you guys. I believe you. I know this airplane can travel much faster than I am currently flying it. However, with the expense of fuel today and the fact that this airplane as I currently fly it is already much faster than any other Cessna 172 or Cherokee I have ever flown, I am very content at this point to pull the mixture back and conserve fuel while still seeing 150-160 MPH TAS. I am perfectly content to fly for 3 hours and come down two states away. That is very WAY COOL!

10-15-2011%252520cruise.jpg

Ok, so this third picture is showing the readouts at cruise during the same flight as above. This is a very typical picture of what I often see at cruise. CHT's 277-290, EGT's now running LOP -24 to -43 (look closely at the EGT numbers, the white box is the first cylinder to go lean; the green box is the last cylinder to go lean). Oil temperature now down to 160 degrees from 182 at climb out. I did not capture fuel flow with this picture but it is at 7 gph at this point. So, I was cruising 153 MPH TAS (161 MPH ground speed) at 9500' burning 7 gph (22.9 mpg)!

So, this is my post. Sorry to be so long winded. I look forward to hearing any and all comments, complaints or corrections.

I did not capture fuel flow with this picture but it is at 7 gph at this point. ...
So .. what was the fuel flow during climb?

For ECI does it say you can lean as much as you want below 75% power?

How far down are the EGT probes mounted?

I don't know a lot about these engines (but like the concept of the 340), but it seems strange to me that you can get over 200 degrees lean of peak and still be running any engine efficiently (didn't you say that peak EGT was about 1400? and you're showing <1200).

The engine gurus might chime in with additional info, but the CHTs below 300 don't seem very "normal" for most engines either, especially working hard in climb. I'll be interested in other opinions on all this.

cheers,
greg

So .. what was the fuel flow during climb?

For ECI does it say you can lean as much as you want below 75% power?

How far down are the EGT probes mounted?
Yes sorry I did not include that information. The fuel flow was displayed on a screen I did not get a pic of. The fuel flow was 14.9 at this climb out. I usually see anything from 14.0-16.0 gph at climb out.

Yes, ECI does allow for leaning below 75%.

Probes are 1.5" down from the cylinder flange.

I don't know a lot about these engines (but like the concept of the 340), but it seems strange to me that you can get over 200 degrees lean of peak and still be running any engine efficiently (didn't you say that peak EGT was about 1400? and you're showing <1200).

The engine gurus might chime in with additional info, but the CHTs below 300 don't seem very "normal" for most engines either, especially working hard in climb. I'll be interested in other opinions on all this.

cheers,
greg
Greg,
I do agree with you about the efficiency comment. I do believe I am leaving something on the table on climb out. At best I might see 2400 rpm but most times 2300-2350. This engine has more to give but I am not getting it now.

Steve,

Ideally, for a cruise prop, I would think that you would like to see redline or a bit more flying straight and level at ~8500 DA. If you are only interested in climbing, then I would think a prop pitched to yield close to max power during climb phase would be what you want. Everything between is a compromise to some extent (and why they invented CS props!). Seeing 2350 or 2400 seems reasonable to me, otherwise you will be limited at the top end.

greg

Greg,
Thanks for the input. I agree about the rpm being close at climb out. I am not specifically thinking about getting more climb performance. I was just showing some information I had concerning my experiences.

When I talked with Craig Catto about my desires I was specific in telling him I was more interested in a cruise prop than climb. I believe that is exactly what he provided.

15GPH @ over 7000' feet does not sound lean to me. It sounds way rich of best power, so your temps are really not surprising. Maybe check your book for best power fuel flow at 7000".

I have had people bring to my attention the issue of leaning my engine out during climb out.

You don't have a CHT problem (those cylinder head temps are great), so you don't need any more fuel just to reduce combustion temperatures. Cool is cool. Forget cooling, you're good.

You should keep detonation margins in mind. You reduce detonation margin by running oversquare, and make things worse by leaning to (or though) best power mixture (about 100 rich of peak). Being fixed pitch, it is only possible to be oversquare down low. As shown on your screen shots, by 7700 you're at 23/2330 and you can lean as you please.

Quite a few would kill for those temperatures. Be happy.

You don't have a CHT problem (those cylinder head temps are great), so you don't need any more fuel just to reduce combustion temperatures. Cool is cool. Forget cooling, you're good.

You should keep detonation margins in mind. You reduce detonation margin by running oversquare, and make things worse by leaning to (or though) best power mixture (about 100 rich of peak). Being fixed pitch, it is only possible to be oversquare down low. As shown on your screen shots, by 7700 you're at 23/2330 and you can lean as you please.

Quite a few would kill for those temperatures. Be happy.
Thanks for the comments Dan. Yes, indeed I am happy. I posted due to some conversations I have had with some individuals who were somewhat concerned when I commented I was pulling the mixture lean during climb out. They felt it important to climb out full rich all the time and that I have the potential to damage my engine if I lean beyond full rich. I wanted to show some first hand experience that showed my temperatures while leaning out the mixture were still well within the normal range of acceptability.

I appreciate the comment about detonation margins. That is exactly the things I am concerned about with the EGT readings. I think I can still lean a bit more from the posted settings and see a little more performance. My next flight I am going to start experimenting with gaining a little more power by working the mixture closer to that 100 rich of peak area. I think if I can see the EGT temps a little closer to 1250-1300 I might see a little better performance. Of course I will monitor ALL the temps closely while doing so. I am interested in gains but not at the expense of blowing past any safe margins.

Of course I will monitor ALL the temps closely while doing so. I am interested in gains but not at the expense of blowing past any safe margins.
A number of resources indicate that below 300 deg CHT could cause some issues with lead as the scavengers are not effective below that temp.

The fuel flow was 14.9 at this climb out. I usually see anything from 14.0-16.0 gph at climb out.

Probes are 1.5" down from the cylinder flange.
Our probes are in the same place.... We still get to 1400 (sometimes more) on climbout with a fuel flow of 12.5-13 gph. Increased the jet one size, may need to go at least one more.

Thanks everyone for the comments. They are all very informative. I do believe I have been running rich during climb out. I believe I can get more out of the engine. Time to experiment. The next time up I am going to lean the mixture further to see what happens with my performance.

P.S. Just a note on the title of this thread. I guess I should not have labeled it; "Engine Temps while climbing out LEAN". What I really meant to say was ". . .climbing out Leaner than FULL RICH". As the title stands now it implies I am running Lean of Peak or something like that in the climb. Not true. I am running rich but not FULL RICH.

Last edited:
Lean to t/o EGT?

I heard a while back during a discussion in a local aeroclub that the correct way to lean while climbing, is to note the EGT right after takeoff when you are established at climb power (ex 25/2500) and lean to that EGT during climb.

This requires a gradual leaning during the climb to keep the EGT up.
(Ofcourse you have to climb a few thousand feet to your selected cruise altitude)

You've to watch for unwanted high CHT's as well.

What does the engine guru's think about this technique?

I posted due to some conversations I have had with some individuals who were somewhat concerned when I commented I was pulling the mixture lean during climb out.

With RPM limited by your cruise prop to 2350~2400, a sea level departure would be quite oversquare...28"Hg or so. You do indeed want to be full rich at 28/23.5, not for cooling but to maintain a detonation margin. As altitude gain reduces manifold pressure to more like 26/23.5, start leaning. By the time MP/RPM squares up (23/23.5) I'm convinced you can do anything you want with the red knob.

Look at the detonation line on the owners manual power charts, and the Lycoming dyno charts recently posted in another thread.

With RPM limited by your cruise prop to 2350~2400, a sea level departure would be quite oversquare...28"Hg or so. You do indeed want to be full rich at 28/23.5, not for cooling but to maintain a detonation margin. As altitude gain reduces manifold pressure to more like 26/23.5, start leaning. By the time MP/RPM squares up (23/23.5) I'm convinced you can do anything you want with the red knob.

Look at the detonation line on the owners manual power charts, and the Lycoming dyno charts recently posted in another thread.
Dan, very useful information. My airport sits at 1325' so a little higher than sea level here. I have a trip planned for this Friday to Colorado. I will be cruising at 10,500' out and 11,500' back on this trip. I will watch the MAP and RPM settings on my takeoffs and climbs on this trip and will make note of my readings.

Temps

Steve if you doubt your temp readings pull your probs out of the engine, still hooked up and put them in boiling water (212 degrees) and check your readings in the cockpit. Then you'll know your readings are telling your true. Just a simple base line test but you will know all your info is good to go. Everything you have posted here sounds like life is good and you have a very good engine and prop set up for what you want out of your plane. :) Give me a call and we'll talk some more.....

Boiling water

Steve if you doubt your temp readings pull your probs out of the engine, still hooked up and put them in boiling water (212 degrees) and check your readings in the cockpit.

Just FYI, water boils at 212 degrees at sea level at 29.92 inches of mercury. Boiling temp goes down as altitude increases or pressure decreases. See here.

Back