What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

total cost to finish project?

Gary's RV7A

I've seen a few simple calculations that estimate the cost to finish a RV7A project. I understand a lot of people really don't want to know how much they have spent on their project. I've been paying as I go but now I'm to the point that I need the engine and panel.

I think I just need to borrow the money and finish this thing up. Paying as I go is taking way too long. However, before I put together a detail list, I thought I would ask if someone has an Excel spreadsheet available that I could use as a starter.

Thanks, Gary

Gary,

Which engine/prop combo do you have in mind? Panel needs? IFR,VFR, Glass or six pak? Radios?How about uhpholstery? Paint?

How's your credit? You can spend as much or as little as you want/need at this point...

RV-7 total cost

Everything Jerry said plus for me, I budgeted for the entire project using an excell sheet with everything I thought I would do. Well, I just spent the last of the budgeted monies and everything is done except for the IFR panel. So off to the bank I go!

As I look back over the last five years and wonder where the money went, it's mostly into custom stuff or extra stuff I didn't know about until I discovered this WEB site :eek: All kinds of stuff I just had to have. Stuff like all leather interior, custom built engine, RV200 prop, and a whole list of other really cool stuff. On top of all that, cost have gone up a little from when I started the project, inflation. Also in the interest of saving weight, buying really expensive stuff that was a little lighter, to offset stuff like leather interiors!

When it's finally done, I will have a small loan but should be able to pay it off in a year or two. I think this is a better option that waiting a year or two for the money to come in. I want to get it done and fly.

RV7A total cost

Hi Paul,

The list is getting long but I do want the following:
-Aerosport IO-375, vertical intake
-Constant Speed Prop
-Dynon Skyview with Vertical Power
-Leather interior

That's already over $60K, it's the little things that add up quickly. Not sure how much to budget for that? I can think of a few things that will add up quickly, like the firewall forward kit, prop governor, and paint.

I will be finishing the tip up canopy in the next two weeks. Planning on installing the struts this weekend. Can't believe how long that is taking.

Last edited:
Total cost to finish?

Hey Gary,

Without going into great details, I started out at $95,000 and I think I will end up about 30% over that! I haven't always done it the cheapest or even the best way but it has been an extraodinary learning experience getting there.

For referance, my panel is dual GRT HX 8.4, GRT EIS, TT VSVG, 430W, SL30, GTX 327, GMA 240, VP-X Pro, CO Guardian, Infinity grips, etc, all assembled by Stein. Again not the cheapest but my dream.

Other expensive options not in original plans: SB-20, ECI cold air induction, EFI, dual P-Mags, Carbon fiber plenum, RV-200 prop with custom paint, full Classic Areo leather interior, electric trim, LED lighting everywhere, dual landing lights, a 4 color paint design with really expensive red metalic paint at $700+ per gal., and a whole list of other stuff I am missing at the moment. The only saving grace is that my wife only weighs about 115 lbs and I weigh about 160 lbs.

Gary,

I finished my 9 at the end of 2008 with a total cost of about $95k. I have a few mods, but not a lot of expensive ones. Paint was $9k (included in the 95). Avionics were about $15k - basic VFR panel Dynon 100 & 120, SL30 radio, GTX 327 transponder, Garmin 495 plus intercomm and some cheaper backup gauges. Engine (new) was about $25k. With low interest rates, assuming you're not living on the edge, it might be worth getting the loan. Downside is that as soon as you start flying, you may likely be spending several hundred $ a month on fuel, oil, etc. in addition to having the loan payment.

I do have a spreadsheet that (somewhat) details all these costs. email me and I'll send it if you would like.

cheers,
greg

More Money, More Shipping, More Time

Money
It will cost more then you plan for, as there is always something else that didn't get added to the original budget. I was planning about 70k, I now estimate that will be closer to 90 or 95. (RV9A for me with a light IFR panel, IO-320 Lycoming from AeroSport Power)

Shipping
When you get into system work, it seems that Aircraft Spruce is sending a package my way at least two or three times a month. All that extra shipping adds up over time

Time
I have been telling my friends for the last three years; "It will be done next year for sure"... oh wait, this year I changed it to; "It will be done before the end of the year for sure".... hmmmm it's the end of April and I sure have a lot left to do..

Have fun and enjoy.

total cost to finish?

Peter I think you are correct in that the longer it takes to get it done, the more it cost. Some other thoughts:

I underestimated shipping cost.
I didn't figure in sales tax and final state registration cost.
Transition training is an extra I didn't figure on.
Cool (more expensive) technology came on the market during my build.
I discovered this great WEB site during my build, stuff I didn't know existed.
I discovered lots of "hidden" cost thus the Spruce orders every month or so.
I discovered lots of great ideas at S&F and Osh Kosh.
I didn't figure the travel cost to the above shows, five years worth!
I discovered lots of fellow pilots and builders with good ideas.
I am having more fun than I should, some frustration also.

And I have a new understanding of the term 90% done, 90% yet to do!

Death by 1000 cuts

Im about 3 weeks away from paint and I can say that the last year or so has been a case of death by 1000 cuts. I probably have three or four packages a month coming to my house for little things i never knew i needed or even existed. For example...regular zip ties found at home depot are no good...so i ordered the higher temp versions. Zip ties directly on the engine mount are no good so had to order the special self fusing silicon tape from steinair. I ran out of ring terminals several times. Theres a special fitting for this or a special bolt, washer, clevis, pushrod, switch for that. It all really adds up over time. I wish there was a company that offered a huge kit box that contained tons of random finish kit parts - perhaps the size of a pallet. At the end of the build we could ship whats left back to the company and they could bill us for what was used. Of course maybe that is what the normal vans finish kit is like.:rolleyes:

Hi Paul,

The list is getting long but I do want the following:
-Aerosport IO-375, vertical intake
-Constant Speed Prop
-Dynon Skyview with Vertical Power
-Leather interior

That's already over $60K, it's the little things that add up quickly. Not sure how much to budget for that? I can think of a few things that will add up quickly, like the firewall forward kit, prop governor, and paint.

I will be finishing the tip up canopy in the next two weeks. Planning on installing the struts this weekend. Can't believe how long that is taking.

That's very similar to my setup, and I'm going to end up right near $100k.

Thanks...

I originally thought I could get by with $70K, then $85K, now I'm thinking about $95K. I already have the fuselage, wings, empennage, engine mount, cowling, landing gear, wheels and hardware.

It's the engine and the stuff that attachs to the engine that scares me the most. I'm thinking $28.5K for an IO-375, then the prop $6K to $9K, then the governor, exhaust, P Mags, spinner, engine controls, and on and on... Is $40K going to be enough for the firewall forward, I hope so???

I must be adding wrong

Gary, I would be happy to escape under $135,000!

I am building a 7 with a QB fuse and an Aerosport IO-360 engine. I am putting in IFR avionics from Aerotronics and paint will be by John Stahr of Artistic aviation. I plan on a constant speed Hartzell prop and leather interior by Classic aero.

I figure 25,700 for the airframe, 48,000 for the avionics, 28,000 for the engine, 8,000 for the prop and gov, 2500 or so for the interior, 5,000 give or take for the FWF, probably over 10,000 for the paint. Ad in unknowns at 2500 or so and you are definately in the $130,000 neighborhood.

Now figure in 2500 - 3000 in tools for the shop. A builders course. Books, and other teaching aids. Registration. Certification/inspection.

I mention this only because I also hear a lot of builders say 75, 90, 100k to build. I'm doubtful.

But when I finish, I will have the best airplane I know how to build.

total cost

I agree with all of the above but it depends on your mission and goals. My mission is cross country IFR in comfort! I also have a wife who has "request" that need to be taken care of. Finally, I am week when it comes to new technology. I haven't ever been comfortable with the 6 pack and VOR radio in IFR as a single pilot and now that I get older, I really like the addition of an AP and the presentation of the EFIS. Just my choice.

Agree

Lots of builders don't go all out with all the fancy bells and whistles either.

I agree. It can be done for <80,000 but with defined expectations. It's certainly possible to spend more...

I was at a builder's course and this subject of total building cost came up. I said I thought I'd be at about 130,000 and one of the other builders was incredulous. Then he added everything up.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a bargain. My other option a year ago was to go in with a partner who had a "great deal" on a Cessna 182 with 400 hours. In my opinion, if I had done that, I would have half ownership of half the plane my 7 will be, at higher cost.

Don't get me wrong; we get the freedom to add in as much or as little to our planes as we want and that's part of the fun. However, fancy gizmos and displays don't always equal more "capability". We still can't shed ice and we still don't get to continue flying if the powerplant fails.

Trying to get my post count up

My personal financial response through much of this build process has, unfortunately, been denial. This thread started with an excellent, and appropriate question: how much does it cost to build one of these things and is there a spreadsheet that helps with the final big number?

I didn't have a good concept of the cost or extent of the components either, when I started. The good answer "it depends on what your mission is", while correct, doesn't clarify the number either.

What engine? new or used? What level of avionics? How much redundancy? what level of interior finish? How dramatic an exterior finish? How many upgrades to Van's standard components? (different oil cooler, brake reservoir, brake lines, etc)? And on and on. Each decision carries a price tag, and until you are in to it, its hard to gather all of the information. I listed my choices as illustrative of what I would call the high middle to low extravagant. When you put all the cool stuff in, that's what it will cost.

Please don't read what I'm writing as implying "better". I just wanted to provide my own numbers to help someone planning the budget to get a bearing.

Here's my numbers. I was frugal and shopped around. I had a mission and vision in mind and didn't stray to far from it. I recall when I first started building I was hoping to build for $75-80K and Vans estimate planner said Low $62K high $89K.

Price Breakdown Low High
RV-7 QuickBuild kit $28500
rebuilt 0 time Lyc IO-360-A1A 195HP $21500 9to1 pistons, AFP inj, Pmags
WW200RV constant-speed prop $7450
Prop governor and cabling $1350
Firewall forward accessories $4800
Panel Dynon180, Avmap GPS, Icom200, navaid A/P +everything else $7000
Nav and landing lights / strobes $500
Basic electrical system $300
CAD seats/ Crow harnesses $2000
Professional paint $6200
Partain QuickBuild shipping / crating $1500
other (bigger tires, tailfork, Bower RamAir, misc parts etc) $2500
Total Kit $83600

I'm sure I may have missed something BUT it is very close. It's one fast and fun XC capable machine.
155bk-a4flying.jpg

Last edited:
A plug for the classifieds

I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted when I started. I've suffered a little bit of scope creep since then, mostly in the panel, but I like what I've ended up with:)

One thing that's helped me has been vigilantly watching the classified forum on this site, with a willingness to buy good deals when I saw them- even if I didn't need the stuff for awhile. Between that and a few Oshkosh deals, I estimate that I've knocked about 10% off of what the same plane would have cost me otherwise.

Cost vs Value

I am new to Vans and I am doing what I thought everyone did.

I am gathering everysingle piece of information and financial detail that is available. 2 months in and I realise that I am about half way through.

I have a figure for a very well appointed, extended tank, FL200, full IFR for pilot and co-pilot, very luxurious, ocean crossing RV7A. It includes life raft and personal beacons, IO-375, ww200, even a custom dash panel that is being CNCed for me and looks more like a Cirrus panel (auto motive panel) than a flat panel of aluminium.

Its coming in at about $185k

I think it will be $200k when I am finished. I feel that is a bargain, and it has nothing to do with better or my plane is nicer than yours etc. I will not be bringing it to Oshkosh, I am in Australia and it will probably never be shown to anyone other than my family.

All I want is to fly safety in the south pacific with my beautiful wife, over to her home country of New Zealand and around our wide land. I want her to feel at ease, to feel we are "taking the car for a road trip" kind of mentality.

This project is more about sharing with my partner more than anything else. If not I would get myself a second hand Extra 300 and tear around the sky.

This has more to do with sharing what I am doing with her and the cool things we are putting in it that is OUR design. Its our aircraft and I may never sell it as a result.

Am I working my butt off for the $200k. One a level you would not believe. Its more about the fact that if I have to work hard in life I might as well do it for something that makes me smile everytime I think about it. Caroline and I saying. " Hey wanna go to Adelaide tomorrow? We can stop off at Kangaoro island and have a coffee there before we head over to the city"

That excites her so much that it makes me get up at 06:00 to check my trades and then go to work to come home at 6pm to then continueing trading while I am doing my work at the same time.

For some people that is just not worth it. For others its about build it with nothing in it and enjoy the sky. Thats the whole point remember?

So if your asking about calculating costs I would say that a standard spreadsheet will be someone elses dream. If you don't want to know then throw the spreadsheet way and just spend it. If you do want to know then ask yourself what do you want to create? Then just start listing it as quick as you can type down a coloumn. Then ring some people and soon it all fills in then add 15% to the total because you will probably add a bit more.

If that isn't what your looking for then go to the vans website and use their configuration calculation. It will be as close as anyone elses specs.

Last edited:
My initial budget planning put me in the 55-60K range. It will likely end up closer to 65 in the end.

Skyview-based VFR Panel
Low-to-mid time O-360
Catto FP
Paint it Myself (with the help of a few auto painters I know)
Cloth interior (maybe some leather trim) I'll do some of this myself
CAD designed and cut panel (cheaper than you think)

I already have my Comm, Xponder, and most of my lighting - all bought from the forum.

I have all my kits. I just finished drilling my last skin today. a bit more work and the sheetmetal is about done. On to finishing up the canopy fitting.

OK, so I'm an oddball

The cost figures bandied about here are stunning. I budgeted 80K. I am sitting at 64K right now and have exhaust, ELT, fire extinguisher and landing lights yet to buy. If I top 70K I'll be shocked. I've kept meticulous records.

This is for slow build 7A with new M1B, Hartzell, IFR with new 430W, dual GRTs, TruTrac Digi II VSG, steam backups, BC8 backup dynamo. Cloth ClassicAero seats (prefered, not cost). Leather interior elsewhere (home sewn). Polish and home painted plastic. Might even squeeze in the NavWorks receiver if some home project doesn't nab the cash.

Cost

Lot's of good replies from all on this subject. "GusBiz" has his head on right and a great attitude about his build. If you can find the money and time build your dream. I have an idea what my 6 cost but choose not to think about it. It is my dream machine with some out dated eletronics (now) but it works for me. The cost spread over the years I took to build (10) are long gone and forgotten. I have no plans to sell unless I lose my medical, or think I could may be lose it. Then I'll move on to something else. Main thing is keep building, it IS worth the effort. Did I tell you all how much I love my little 6?:D

I'm thinking I have enough but...

Thanks for all the replies, it's made my dream a little more clear.

It's great to see that the range is from $65K to $200K. Everyone has their dream and the budget for my dream is $90K. Hopefully, this time next year Dynon will have the complete package that includes a comm. The next step is to purchase the engine, Aerosport IO 375...

Thanks again for all the input. This board makes dreams possible!

Back