What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tach drive cap?

cap

The Lycoming number is 62732 and they are proud of them. I have a few good used ones for 10.00 each if you need one.

Jesse

Vans has it too...

Just for reference...Available from Van...

Cap for tach drive port on engine
Part Number = IE RC-1 CAP
Price = $6.00

Just for reference...Available from Van...

Cap for tach drive port on engine
Part Number = IE RC-1 CAP
Price = $6.00

Just got one from Van--same price nearly five years on. Didn't get the $19.95 part (+shipping) from Aircraft Spruce

However, the Vans part has no o-ring or safety wire holes as the ACS part does. Should the Van's part be installed with thread locking sealant or suchlike?

Old thread, new (?) question...

Bumpty bump. Per previous post, does one just install the knurled tach cover cap finger tight and that's it? A rare hunk of aviation hardware: no self-locking, thread-locking, safety wire or sealing goop? :confused:

Yes.

I haven't seen one come off that was finger tight. Perhaps a little tighter grip by using pliers would be appropriate. I've seen many airplanes with the red plastic shipping cap still on after many years, too. :(

Vic

My opinion

I don't think the unsecured red plastic caps belong in the engine compartment. If they do fall off and land on the hot exhaust they may start burning and cause excitement in the cockpit, or worse. They are for shipping purposes.

Vic

I lost one years ago that had been tightened with a set of rounded pliers - it takes nothign to put some safety wire on it to make sure it at least stays onboard if it comes loose. Otherwise, your friends will never let you forget it.... ;)

Yes.

For the caps that don't have the safety wire hole in them, some Locktite 242 (medium strength) works.

Vic

Mine had a black rubbery cap, almost as good as red?

Blue Loctite it is, then, there being no safety wire lug on the Vans cap. Thank you all, gentlemen!

I don't think the unsecured red plastic caps belong in the engine compartment. If they do fall off and land on the hot exhaust they may start burning and cause excitement in the cockpit, or worse. They are for shipping purposes.

Vic
Vic,
Got it. Rubber cap is now safety wired! Thanks! :D

Lost Tach Drive Cover with Yellow Tag

I lost one years ago that had been tightened with a set of rounded pliers - it takes nothing to put some safety wire on it to make sure it at least stays onboard if it comes loose. Otherwise, your friends will never let you forget it.... ;)

Are you saying that because one of our friends gave you this for a birthday present back in 2007 after you lost one?

TagTachCap_zps4yoqwwh0.jpg

:)

Where does one lockwire the cap to? Installed mine this weekend but didn't see a good location to lockwire to.

Where does one lockwire the cap to? Installed mine this weekend but didn't see a good location to lockwire to.

If I recall correctly, the 45 deg oil filter adapter had two holes--one filled with the safety wire securing the filter, the other open and a potential anchor point for the tach cap.

If, that is, Van's tach cap was designed for safetying, which it's not.... The blue loctite is holding up so far after 0.0 hours :rolleyes:.

Andair

I did not see that anyone had mentions that Spruce has the Andair caps. They are very well made and have lots of hole to safety too. A little more $ but not much for what you get out of a good quality unit. Hope this helps, Yours R.E.A. III #80888

This is an amazing forum

I know the last post on this topic was from 14 years ago, but I wanted to express my amazement at how even the smallest detail can be found on the Vans Air Force forum. I am replacing the clunky old tachometer on the O-360 in my RV-6A and wondered what do with the open hole left by the removal of the tach cable. First, I found the references to Aircraft Spruce, Lycoming, and Van's parts (being the cheap ******* I am, I ordered the Van's cover). When it came in the mail yesterday, there was no place to safety wire the cap and no o-ring or gasket in the bag. Back to the forum and found this lively discussion on all the ways people have found to seal up this hole. I'm hunting for my blue Locktite thread locker right now . . .

Just a note. All the certified aircraft that use mechanical tacks have a tach cable attached with a knurled nut that has no saftey and no oring. Just tighten up with pliers. Thats all the Piper's, Cessna's and Beech's for years and years of production. The tach shaft in the engine has a seal and an oring in the cap isn't necessary because of that seal and wasn't used with any tach cable I ever saw. So some of this discussion is a little overboard.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back