What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor question - sign of bad motor?

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
This is the second time it's happened. I was flying today, inbound for landing...started my procedure to drop half-flaps, and I got nothing. Basically landed flaps up, no problem. Same thing happened about 2 months ago.

I checked the fuse after each incident and it was fine. The first time it happened I decided to troubleshoot the problem the next weekend, but when I showed up that day the flaps worked. :confused:

Fast forward to today, after hangaring the airplane I checked the fuse. It was good. Looked at all the wiring under the panel, even gave them a light wiggle while activating the flap switch. Nothing. So, I decided to give a nice hard "thump" to the triangular brace where the flap motor resides. Activated the switch and the flaps now worked. Hmmm!

I really don't believe it's a wiring problem. My guess is the motor is failing. Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas? When it runs, it seems strong. Maybe it has an internal "intermittent contact" problem. :confused:

Do a search and you will find information on grease fowling the brushes. Disassemble clean and reassemble.

Flap motor fix

Calm yourself there is much written on this subject do a search. the procedure is fairly easy and requires cleaning of armature and brush assembly to remove grease from orginal assembly that gets on armature with age, this is a good time to check brush wear and replace. Read up on it and go for it.

Me too!

Last week the same thing happened to me a for the second time. The fist time was a year ago and I followed Van's "Flaky Flaps" Service Bulletin. So the 'fix' lasted for a year. I talked with Vans and the flap manufacturer (Usher Precision Manufacturing in Oregon) and decided to by a new flap actuator, as the ones built in the 2004 time period (when I got mine) have this issue. He said the new ones have had very few reports of this type. I was worried about being at distant airport and not being able to retract full flaps for the return. I flew home after some 'air work " with full flaps (after they wouldn't retract) and the power needed to stay level and the low speed caused high oil temps...even in a gradual decent.

Bob Cowan
RV-7A N743RV 250+ hrs

Thanks fellas...I did a search but didn't find anything exactly like my problem. :rolleyes: I don't think it's the grease fowling problem, either, but I could be wrong.

Bob, your reply was what I was looking for. Thanks. Could you provide the SB #? I looked at Vans website and found two SB's, but they didn't seem to align with what you said.

I don't think it's the grease fowling problem, either, but I could be wrong.

Have you looked? If not, it's easy to take a look inside it and eliminate that as the problem. How many hours do you have on your flap motor? If you get it acting up again, you might first try a voltmeter, and see if you?re getting juice.

This thread will easily guide you through cleaning the motor if that is the problem, and often it is. It was mine. One A&P on the field told me these couldn?t be fixed, that I would have to buy a new motor. Boy was he wrong. Just needed the cleaning.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83585&highlight=stuck+flaps+problem

flap motor

Sonny, I had grease fowled brushes @ 55 hrs. Flaps stopped about 1/2 way extended on landing. Cleaned with good contact cleaner, safety wired brush springs back for assembly, installed brushes,removed safety wire, assemble, works like new. Ron

..... I was worried about being at distant airport and not being able to retract full flaps for the return. .....
Bob Cowan
RV-7A N743RV 250+ hrs

If the motor fails you can remove the actuator bolt and manually screw in the flap drive and re-assemble in the up position.

Not a full solution but it would "get you home"...

Back