What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago Flyway

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
I'm planning on flying along the Chicago shoreline this year up to OSH. From what I can tell, as long as I stay below 3000', out of Class B, I can do this...without radio contact. Would like any gouge from folks who have done it. How big a hassle???...is it worth it???
Thanks in advance.

Wow...nice pics!!! I think I'll give it a shot this year. I fly into ORD all the time for work, but I know it'll be different in a light VFR plane.

Lake Route

I got my private out of Waukegan airport and a flight down the coast to Lansing airport was an easy and pretty 51 mile cross-country. Now that Meigs is gone there is no one monitoring traffic (flight following is hit and miss). A lot of folks fly this route at 2,500. I usually fly 2,700 just to be off-altitude from others. Just keep in mind that your options are limited should you have a problem; when there is a beach area it is pretty narrow and not necessarily straight, and the lake is only about 55 degrees in mid-summer (not as old and bold as I used to be).

TAC chart

The terminal area chart calls for 2500' as the lowest altitude in the VFR corridor. Getting a TAC chart for reference would be a good idea.

Don Orrick
N410JA
Based at waukegan (UGN)

The last two years at OSH time, there has been
a stadium TFR in downtown Chicago. I had to
swing out over the lake some to stay clear.
It's not a big deal, but watch for it if you
are hugging the coast line.
Tom

Looks scenic if you like tall buildings. personally, I avoid VFR corridors where other aircraft are likely to be. I would probably fly OVER the Class B airspace and get VFR flight following...if they care.

I have been up and down and around Chicago many times. It's very scenic, but I fly over the class B whenever possible. The shoreline (not really a flyway) is very congested especially during OSH. You can get Radar Service, sometimes. During OSH I have heard them say "okay all VFR traffic NO MORE REQUESTS".

Its a great option

I have my 6A at Rochelle, Il which is 90 west of the city, I would take the lakeshore route versus swinging wide to the west. I travel once a month between RPJ and IGQ(Lansing, Il) which takes me just south of the TCA the biggest concern I find is the Southwest 737s going to Midway(MDW) they are suppose to stay abouve 3600 I have encountered them desending through 2500 and only a 1/2 mile lateral distance their decents like this happen in the southwestern quadrent from MDW to the JOT vor especially when they are landing to the notheast. In the early hours 0700to 1000 and 1530 to 1830 they are arriving at about 1 a minute and you have to be on your guard. After a few close calls the lakeshore at 2500 is a breeze and 99% of the traffic is going less than 200kts. Just my 2cents worth. Regards Larry Salerno

Only once

I have flown the route once and the sights are amazing. Most of the time I cut the corner at Joliet - so I can get up high where the plane is happy and efficient. There was a lot of traffic and not many good landing options on the lake front, but you have to do it at least once!!

Back