What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A question about Phillips 15-50 oil

No. As far as I know only Exxon Elite 20-50, Aeroshell 15-50 Multigrade, Aeroshell 100W Plus, Aeroshell 80W Plus have it, or some approved form of the additive.

Does anyone know if it has the additive LYCOMING wants for their engines?
I'm a huge believer in Mike Busch Savvy aviator where the only good additive is Cam Guard. Since the multi-grade's will drip off the Cam first after use. The cam guard will protect from non-use. I also switch from multi- grade to strait weight in the summer for more heat protection -YMMV-

Are you talking about the anti-scuffing compound LW-16702? If so, no Phillips 15-50 does not have it. IIRC, most Lycomings don't need it. I know SI 1409c says "all", but I don't know of anyone adding it if they aren't directed to by an SB.

Last edited:
oil

I'm thinking single weight for heat issues also. what is being used for O360's in the summer?

thanks,
Lee

I'm a huge believer in Mike Busch Savvy aviator where the only good additive is Cam Guard. Since the multi-grade's will drip off the Cam first after use. The cam guard will protect from non-use. I also switch from multi- grade to strait weight in the summer for more heat protection -YMMV-

More heat protection?

The multi-weight oil is thicker than the straight weight oil when they are both at elevated temperatures. (elevated temperatures = above the temperature where they both are rated) Ask any of the oil men when you are at AirVenture 2013 this year. Shell, Phillips, or Exxon will all tell you that at temperatures above the normal operating temperature, the multi-weight oil will be thicker than its straight weight counterpart.

According to Shell, the multi-weight oil will help the engine run cooler in high temperatures.

I went to the forum by the Cam Guard guy at Sun-N-Fun this year. He recommends Aeroshell 100W Plus, Exxon Elite or Phillips 20W-50, all with Cam Guard. He said absolutely no Aeroshell 15W-50 because it's semi synthetic and doesn't suspend the contaminates as well. Even for break-in, these oils are fine, only without Cam Guard.

I almost exclusively use the Phillips and use Cam Guard on non-brand-new engines.

Oil

The only problem with multi is when you need the most protection like take off in the winter the oil is real thin .
Bob

That is what I thought too, and maybe that is still the case, but from the forum, it seemed that the multi viscosity oil works just as well as the standard oil where it is normally used, and also works well where the standard oil doesn't. It seemed that he was saying that it gives you the best of both worlds somehow.

I don't pretend to be an expert, which is why I went to the forum. I know and have worked with Aircraft Specialty Services in getting Steel parts inspected and reworked, and think that there must be some really good reason why they bought or otherwise teamed up with Cam Guard, so I paid attention to what the guy said and am just trying to repeat that here as I remember it.

The only problem with multi is when you need the most protection like take off in the winter the oil is real thin .
Bob

Ummm, that's not a problem--that's the purpose of a multi-grade oil. The idea is to add viscosity index improvers (VII) to produce an oil that has a specific viscosity at the engine's operating temp but still flows at startup when temps are cold and the oil has thickened. Remember that the majority of engine wear is at startup so you want an oil that is capable of flow so that it can provide adequate lubrication. IOW, straight grade can be too thick at startup so they add VII's to give it a wider temp range with acceptable viscosity.

This is why some run a straight grade in the summer when startup viscosity isn't an issue and switch to a multi-grade in the winter.

Last edited:
In this day and age there is no reason to run a single weight oil. the lubricating properties of an oil are best at a certain viscosity point. a single weight oil has that property at one temp. a multi weight oil has that point over a wide temp range. Does anybody run single weight oil in there cars anymore? no. because with the tolerances in auto engines a single weight oil would destroy an engine. so why not use the advances in technology in your aircraft engine. yes, an aircraft engine will run just fine with single weight oil. just because the technology of the engine is 1930's there is no reason to use 1930 technology oil.

Ummm, that's not a problem--that's the purpose of a multi-grade oil. The idea is to add viscosity index improvers (VII) to produce an oil that has a specific viscosity at the engine's operating temp but still flows at startup when temps are cold and the oil has thickened. Remember that the majority of engine wear is at startup so you want an oil that is capable of flow so that it can provide adequate lubrication. IOW, straight grade can be too thick at startup so they add VII's to give it a wider temp range with acceptable viscosity.

This is why some run a straight grade in the summer when startup viscosity isn't an issue and switch to a multi-grade in the winter.

Nailed it.

I've often thought the term "multi-viscosity" was a misnomer. It actually has a more constant viscosity or "thickness" over a given temperature range than does "single-viscosity" oil. It's just that at low temps the "multi-vis" behaves like a single-viscosity oil of the lower number, and behaves like a higher-number single-viscosity oil at the higher temps.

Mike Busch and many others entirely agree with you regarding the benefits of regular flights. The problem is that many people do NOT fly regularly, or at least not consistently, and that is where the benefit of single grade oil makes sense. Mike insists however that the semi-synthetic Shell 15w-50 is a poor choice because the nonbranching nature of the synthetic hydrocarbons, whole offering superior lubricity, are inferior with respect to suspension of contaminants.
That's the claim anyway.
Erich

+1 rvflyer.

I thought running a straight 50 wt aeroshell would be better in the Houston summers over my usual Shell 15-50. Not so. My 0-320D1A RV4 oil temps are usually right around 180 to 190F when taking off in 95+ ambient air temp after climb out cyl. heads are 285-290F with 15-50. When I ran the straight 50 wt. oil temps were 205F cly. heads right at 300f.

Hi Gary!

Warern Moore
Hooks - Houston.

Back