What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Handheld?

breister

Well Known Member
Hi all,

After a major panel upgrade, I am apparently ready for flight (although 800' ceilings today prevented first flight). However, although I could talk to someone inside their closed hanger 400' away I could not raise the tower across the field, so apparently the radio is weak for some reason.

Was planning on getting a handheld backup anyway, and since the avionics shop is not on my field (at least not one I would use) it is now time to get a hand held for the trip over for a professional look-see.

Looking for Comm only, best value that doesn't suck. Recommendations?

Icom A14

Great small radio; 14 hrs plus on one charge (I ran mine during the afternoon airshows at Osh for five days on a single charge...). AA backup and headset adapter available. Plug into the aircraft antenna for extended range.

Mike

I upgraded my A4 to the A6 and went back to the A4.
Mainly because the A6 has a "soft" "on" key so it uses the batteries when turned off. Seem as though it is always waiting for the "ON".
Since I use my handheld as unicom for my airstrip, it stays off a lot of the time. When it's off, it's really off. Under these circumstances batteries last 10 times longer with the A4. Biggest disadvantage of the A4 is no random frequency selection. If you can live with 20 preprogrammed frequencies, go with the A4.

Vertex Standard VXA-710

The 710 has tons of great features. I especially like the compact size, use of standard AA batteries if the rechargeable battery dies, and it's submersible.

However, as Gary states, Vertex Standard is hard to use. I find myself going back to the manual on occasion to figure out the features, and "I are a rocket scientist". Not very intuitive, but it did work very well when my Garmin audio unit died. I hooked up my headset and had no problems contacting the airport from many miles away.

Hmmm, the Vertex model numbers have all apparently changed.

Nevertheless, they win on price - and as long as I can figure out how to plug it into my headset and tune a channel and communicate over a reasonable distance, I don't need anything else. According to these few responses, that is possible.

Thanks everyone!

which hand held

I have had the Icom a24, you get nav with com. Like other comments about Icom, I too have many hours on receive without recaharging. I bought the extension for the antenna and used the A24 as my only radio when I had the panel radio in for tweeking. With the antenna extension and the push to talk connection I had no problems.:)

Icom A24 low battery indicator

I agree that the Icom A24 is a great performing handheld. The VOR TO matches my panel NAV radio within 1 degree at 40+ miles, etc.. The only annoyance is that you can't simply put it on the wall charger and forget about it. If you do, you apparently damage the Li-ion battery pack? I've never seen a handheld, at least for amateur radio, that did not have an integral charging circuit either in the battery or the radio itself, to protect against damage/over charge/whatever. The indication seems to be a low battery icon on transmit only, with the battery reading at or above 7.2V on my meter, even over 8V. Anyone else seen this? Solution? New battery and a timer with audible alarm? Or is this just a nuisance indication with a confirmed fully charged battery? Thanks.....

Last edited:
Back