What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV partnerships

dave_091

How popular are RV partnerships? I don't think I have found any here in Canada, none that I have heard of anyway.

I split the first 7A I built into a 3 way partnership, more RV smiles all around. I've since sold out & acquired a 6 for the tail experience, with another partner, again more smiles. We have since sold that one to a single owner who is still smiling. I currently have another gent as partner in a 6A rebuild project. Then the other 6 in the back of the hangar waiting its turn will probably eventually revert to multi ownership. I definitely believe in spreading the RV experience!
Also at our airport there is another 7A 3 way, and 6A dual partnerships. At airports close by I can think of at least 2 other Multi owned RVs.

We have 3 in an RV7a in NC

Still flys too little! Has worked out great for us as we are all busy and don't have a lot of time to fly. very important that you get partners who like to work on the plane as it seems like we are constantly making improvements to FWF or avionics. Latest is to add the antisplat cowl flap.

Dividing up the fixed costs really helps (hangar, insurance, subscriptions, XM weather, taxes).

We rarely have scheduling conflicts and often just end up flying together with another partner.

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

Thanks!

I was in a three way partnership with a cherokee 140. It was a great way to fly and build hours for my CPL. All three of us flew often and we also flew on the same day. No scheduling conflicts at all. I am left with a very positive experience in partnerships. I didn't think rv partnerships were common, but I have been proven wrong by your replies. I'll have to keep an eye out for them or post an add locally.

Positive experiences for me

RV partnerships have made flying possible, affordable and enjoyable for this guy. [In hopes of promoting similar opportunities for others, the lengthy details follow!]

I co-owned an RV-9a for a couple years and am grateful for the experience. After meeting another low-hour pilot looking for a partnership, we found a suitable 9a and bought it when I had <100 hrs total time. Thankfully the -9a handles very much like the Diamond DA-20, which I used for most of those initial hours, making for an easy transition.

During those 2.5 years, we split everything 50/50. Hangar, maintenance, insurance, etc. Thanks to the generous useful load of RV's, we simply filled the tanks after most flights and paid our own fuel. No messy bookkeeping required.

I worked Mon-Fri mostly and flew weekends. The other co-owner had a more flexible job and flew mostly during the week. When one of us wanted to fly during the other's normal time or take a long trip, we simply called and worked it out. We never had a real scheduling conflict.

Other benefits of co-ownership are having a second invested perspective and another set of hands. That sure is convenient with oil changes, and other pilot-owner maintenance. Thankfully, we had an RV-experienced mechanic on our field as well; a big plus when neither owner has the repairman certificate. During our co-ownership, we also devised a detailed plan and upgraded the panel to IFR. Another good thing to work on as a team, and great way to learn about your RV.

I was moving out of state and the partner wanted to upgrade to more seats/power, so we sold it. A big part of me wishes I simply bought the other half of the plane and kept it, but it went in a shipping container to New Zealand for its new owner. Each of us paid half of the initial purchase price, flew approx 200 hrs each, and received half of the sale price in the end. It all worked out pretty darn well. Flown regularly, the plane flew like a top with no surprises or big-ticket maintenance items.

Moving to a new state, VAF helped me meet RV owners here in Utah. That's worth the annual donation right there. ;) When I met a kind, safety-minded RV owner who I thought would go for it, I asked if he'd entertain the idea of a partnership. He wasn't flying as much lately and I think liked the idea of his engine being flown more regularly. Or maybe he felt bad for me. :eek: In either case, we went for an intro flight together, and when the CFO/my Mrs was ready, an RV-10 partnership was created.

This partner is the builder and has the repairman certificate, which is obviously a huge plus. (If only I had as much knowledge, experience and skill to reciprocate...) I've happily helped with condition inspection prep, done an oil change or two, and even (slowly!) picked up some new skills in this partnership.

We also simply split all the usual costs 50/50. Oh, and a simple Google calendar we share on our smart phones makes scheduling a breeze.

Needless to say, it will be a sad day when I PCS to another base in the next year or two. Flying behind familiar GRT displays with SVT in this super capable RV-10, near beautiful mountains with a fully-coupled TT AP is GA bliss. Not to mention training for my IFR ticket and completing the check ride in it, then continuing to explore sites in/near Utah, flying to visit my family a couple states away, Catalina Island, Sedona, a post-deployment trip to see relatives and more -- I love it. I couldn't afford all this yet on my own. And I've gotten more involved with our local EAA thanks to this experience, the RV community and the associated mentoring.

Like anything, personalities matter and what you put in may influence what you get out of it. Overall, I'm so appreciative of those who have been open to sharing a well-built RV with a non-builder like me. To be honest, I just might one day have to build one of my own when I retire!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm considering trying to get a partner to buy in on the RV-7 I'm building. Just been running the numbers and thing that it will make it much more likely to be financially sustainable. Plus I'm sure I won't be able to fly it enough by myself.

Back