What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step pro-seal question

hesty

I am working on the steps for my 7A and am at the point of priming and riveting. The steps fit flush except at the lower aft part of the plate. I have done some trimming and bending, but still have a small gap that seems no amount of trimming or bending will eliminate. I think I am going to put some pro-seal on the step plate as I install it to help seal this gap(only visible from underneath looking up). How should I prepare the step plate and fuselage skin to accept the pro-seal. I originally was going to just prime everything and rivet away, but with the pro-seal I'm not sure on the prep and priming. I want the primer protection, but need the gap bridging of the pro-seal.:(

Can it be both rattle-can primed and prosealed? Or will the proseal react bad with the primer?

Thanks for your advice!

Chad

Boulder City, Nevada

Last edited:
If you rattle-can it first, the proseal will simply be sticking to the paint (primer), and not the aluminum. This would not be the worst way to go except rattle-can primer, though good, is not the absolute best bond to aluminum, so your protection would only be as good as your weakest link (in this case your rattle-can primer to aluminum bond).

I would think your best bet would be to scuff, clean, prep, etc the alumium and pro-seal directly onto that.

Are you powdercoating or painting your step? That is another thing to concider.

Are you powdercoating or painting your step? That is another thing to concider.[/QUOTE]

Painting step...

Anyone else have this small area of gap between step plate and skin?

Chad,

Like your experience, I had a pronounced gap beneath the rattle can primed footstep on my -6A that could not be worked out and looked awful. In addition to using proseal between the step and the airframe to eliminate any chance that moisture could collect between the dissimilar metals, I filled in that gap with proseal, shaped to fit. I suggest that if you are going to use proseal to fill in the gap, it is best to leave the aluminum bare, lightly scuffed to enhance the bond. Later, you will find that proseal will take to just about any kind of paint very well.

ddm7nq.jpg

Chad,

Like your experience, I had a pronounced gap beneath the rattle can primed footstep on my -6A that could not be worked out and looked awful. In addition to using proseal between the step and the airframe to eliminate any chance that moisture could collect between the dissimilar metals, I filled in that gap with proseal, shaped to fit. I suggest that if you are going to use proseal to fill in the gap, it is best to leave the aluminum bare, lightly scuffed to enhance the bond. Later, you will find that proseal will take to just about any kind of paint very well.

ddm7nq.jpg

Thanks for your input Rick. My gap is smaller than the picture you submitted and I will take your advice on the surface prep and proseal application to fill the gap.
Cheers.

Proseal

Proseal is used as a corrision preventer in some applications on GA aircraft. You won't need primer between the aluminum and the proseal.

Back