What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New brake pads

Cadstat

Well Known Member
Has anybody relined their brake pads? I'm wondering if its easier to buy replacements as a unit or drill out the rivets and rebuild. I realize I'm asking people who have the capacity to build an aircraft but at this point in my life I have more money than time. The rotors have been over heated by their looks and I'm replacing them too.

Buy this tool from Avery's for $39.95 and DIY.

168.jpg

PS. Buy one of these Handy Jacks to make wheel and brake removal easier. I lent mine to a friend and he even used it to lift the nose wheel on his RV-10.
913_2_.jpg

Last edited:
Changing Brake Pads/Liners

John,

Make sure to read and follow the instructions included with the rivet tool. You do touch the rivets with a drill bit but you don't drill them out.

Hmmm.....never did it that way! One fitting presses the rivets out, take it off and another fitting is used on the press to squeeze the new rivets in place, making sure the pad is tight up across the mount. Pretty simple operation.

Has anybody relined their brake pads? I'm wondering if its easier to buy replacements as a unit or drill out the rivets and rebuild. I realize I'm asking people who have the capacity to build an aircraft but at this point in my life I have more money than time. The rotors have been over heated by their looks and I'm replacing them too.

A little discoloration is no reason to change the disc (rotor?). If you did buy new discs I hope you looked at Acft Spruce. They have Rapco's for half of what a Cleveland costs, but then you did say you had lots of money! :D

Brake Pads from The Maule Guy ??

Hi Folks,

I'm proud second owner of a great RV6. Builder said he had great brake pads - from a supplier named The Maule Guy.

Unfortunately he's lost the contact info for The Maule Guy. Anybody have it ? I'm looking for very high performance brake pads.

Thanks,

Jeff Barnes
N790DW Race 411
A DRW RV6
847-331-2567

Short supply

Thanks for the tip MR. RedDick. I said I have more money than time but both are in short supply. I'll look at the Rapco brand. Thanks again.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Brake job over. One side must have been fixed before. Other side one had a cracked pad and both pads were down to rivets on steel.

You can easily jack the gear up with a small Japanese car jack.
I bought the Rapco brake tool and it made the job a piece of cake. I'll loan the tool to anyone if they are planning a brake job.

What I'm curious about is what kind of life are people getting out of their brake pads? I guess measured in landings or hours. I have a 7a buddy who just replaced his pads after 75 hours, probably a bunch of landings as it was the first 75 hours.

P. Webb
Rockport, ME
RV-9A, N337CW

What I'm curious about is what kind of life are people getting out of their brake pads? I guess measured in landings or hours. I have a 7a buddy who just replaced his pads after 75 hours, probably a bunch of landings as it was the first 75 hours.

P. Webb
Rockport, ME
RV-9A, N337CW

Do a quick search for lots of discussion. I am nearing limits on my first set with over 430 hours, over a thousand landings. That is with a tailwheel not nose wheel. I believe nose wheel machines use brakes more but 75 hours does not seem right.

Back