- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Louvers

When installing louvers on the cowl do most install them on the bottom of the cowl or on the side of the cowl, is there any advantage in either place
Tim
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM
VAF Moderator

I'd go with the bottom for looks.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM

We isn'talled our on the bottom.
Phelps
Stuart, Fl
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaire View Post
When installing louvers on the cowl do most install them on the bottom of the cowl or on the side of the cowl, is there any advantage in either place
Tim
May I ask why you are installing louvers ? do you have temp problems ?
0-360,carb,catto 3 blade.
VH-XJL
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Aust View Post
May I ask why you are installing louvers ? do you have temp problems ?
we have been fighting oil temps when the out side temp starting creeping up
in the 80s, we have sealed all bafflings, change to a larger oil cooler fire wall mounted, up at altitude at cruise the temps stay in line, but down low with warm temps and slower speeds oil temps go up, cyclinder temps are alway good up high or down low 310 to 350.. after looking into we installed the vetterman exhaust with mufflers and looking into the cowl the mufflers are pretty large and block the air flow from the oil cooler to the exit of the cowl.
with the louvers hope to have a air flow for the oil cooler ( I hope)

Tim
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Louvers

Is this a new or overhauled engine? The reason I ask is that an IA friend of mine chased high oil temps on a low time overhauled Lycoming, installed on a RV-6, for two months doing everything possible to provide more air flow through the cooler. Finally, he discovered that the vernatherm was not seating completely and routing the oil to the cooler. He also found that not all vernatherms are created equal, they all seem to expand to different lengths at 200F (boiling water, thermometer, and caliper). He ordered 4 new units and installed the one with the longest expansion (that exceeded the original) and returned the other 3, problem solved. I hope this might be of help. Dan
Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM

I am chasing the same problem on a 6A with a factory O-360-A1A. I see 160's in the winter, and 230 in the summer. I am upgradiing the cooler from a 7 row to a 13 row. Louvers, exit ramps, ect. seem to require a lot of work, and only a hope of success; but I might be right behind you if the larger cooler does not work. - What coolers have you tried? I have a Positech P20002C and am going to an Airflow Systems 2006X. I hope to have the new cooler on by next weekend, so will tell you how I make out.
1978 PA38-112
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM

My oil is at 174 - 184 F all year with the std oil cooler vans send with the kit.
I was looking at louvers for cooling cht #3.
I look forward to what you find. Good luck !
0-360,carb,catto 3 blade.
VH-XJL
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccidude1 View Post
Is this a new or overhauled engine? The reason I ask is that an IA friend of mine chased high oil temps on a low time overhauled Lycoming, installed on a RV-6, for two months doing everything possible to provide more air flow through the cooler. Finally, he discovered that the vernatherm was not seating completely and routing the oil to the cooler. He also found that not all vernatherms are created equal, they all seem to expand to different lengths at 200F (boiling water, thermometer, and caliper). He ordered 4 new units and installed the one with the longest expansion (that exceeded the original) and returned the other 3, problem solved. I hope this might be of help. Dan
we changed the oil filter housing as we could see the vernatherm was not setting with a full ring around the seat, we changed the vernatherm at the time also it help a little but at lower alt and slower air speed the oil temps rise 220 to 230 at higher alt and full air speed the temps stay 185 hope the louvers help, i will keep you posted
Tim
Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 PM

I spoke with Bill from Airflow Solutions today. He recomends that they be put on the side of the cowl. The reason is that the bottom of an RV cowl becomes a high pressure area during climb. He said that the sides are always low pressure.
1978 PA38-112