- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:15 PM

Default flight reviews?

I'm curious as to what others are doing about flight reviews during the pandemic. Mine is due this month but I'm working really hard at maintaining appropriate distance and sitting next to someone in an RV for an hour just doesn't meet my criteria. Like many (most?) pilots I'm in the at-risk age group.

RVs are pretty darned drafty and I suppose we could both wear masks but it still seems like a risk here in NC where our daily cases are setting records. The cfi I have used for years is also regularly giving lessons which makes him even more of a risk.

I'm also distressed at the thought of even temporarily giving up one of the true socially-distant activities I have these days. Particularly when it's the activity I like the most.

thoughts, ideas?
Old 07-12-2020, 01:10 PM

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...s-disease-2019
KC2ZEL
Old 07-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
I'm curious as to what others are doing about flight reviews during the pandemic. Mine is due this month but I'm working really hard at maintaining appropriate distance and sitting next to someone in an RV for an hour just doesn't meet my criteria. Like many (most?) pilots I'm in the at-risk age group.

RVs are pretty darned drafty and I suppose we could both wear masks but it still seems like a risk here in NC where our daily cases are setting records. The cfi I have used for years is also regularly giving lessons which makes him even more of a risk.

I'm also distressed at the thought of even temporarily giving up one of the true socially-distant activities I have these days. Particularly when it's the activity I like the most.

thoughts, ideas?
My BFR and medical were due in May and June respectively and after some hunting around ended up having a friend/CFI do my BFR, and was forced to find a new doctor to do my medical since the one I used previously insisted I get a COVID test that just wasn't practical. In the end, it turns out there are quite a few CFI's and doctors still in operation. You just have to look around and may have to drive/fly to them.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 07-12-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBaier View Post
best I can tell by looking through this sfar, it doesn't apply to us pure pleasure cruisers. Am I wrong?
Also, I'll be darned surprised if this pandemic has eased much in 3 months ...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
In the end, it turns out there are quite a few CFI's and doctors still in operation. You just have to look around and may have to drive/fly to them.
finding one is not the issue; it's getting in the (very small) plane with one.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
I'm curious as to what others are doing about flight reviews during the pandemic. Mine is due this month...

thoughts, ideas?
C'mon down to Savannah and fly the Expanded Envelope Exercises® with me.

With summer heat and turbulence/thunderstorms, it might not be fun to fly down, do the flight review, then fly back that afternoon.

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 07-13-2020, 01:59 AM

What are your expanded envelope exercises?
=VAF= donor 2021
Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Good time to fly

Just got my IFR ticket, doing the full training and tests during Covid. Good plane availability along with an awesome instructor and DPE of choice - both of which are normally booked solid. Northern California
Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
What are your expanded envelope exercises?
Here's link to a previous thread on the topic:
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...d.php?t=180541

The Expanded Envelope Exercises® (E3) are a set of fun, challenging, rewarding exercises that can be done in most normal category aircraft. They seek to expand a pilot's personal envelope, i.e., comfort zone, so that loss of control precursor situations do not degenerate into loss of control.

E3 is flown entirely at <60° bank, <30° pitch, and < 2 Gs. A competition aerobatic pilot confirmed that E3 teaches things that aerobatics does not.

Next time you're in Georgia, or I'm in Arizona...

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 07-13-2020, 10:14 AM

I “reluctantly” got one 2 weeks ago. Finding an instructor is easy. The problem is most instructors spend a lot of time in close quarters with different people. Not a good combination. My feeling is this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, and a 3 month extension would not put me in a better situation.

We both wore masks, and I had the air vent blowing in my face the whole time. It worked out in the end but it was definitely taking a chance. A surgical mask in a cramped cockpit for an hour is just a false sense of security. You are still taking a chance. Good luck.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!