Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Default Uavionics TailbeaconX

Ok Beta testers, spill the beans!

I thought I would be the first in line to buy one of these when they became available, but now I?m not sure. It looks like I will have to install a controlling head in a 2 1/4? hole in the panel. I had envisioned it working with my existing GTX 327 transponder. I don?t think my Dynon D-100 is capable of integrating this into the display.

How is the controlling head connected to the tail beacon?

https://generalaviationnews.com/2020...=TPOA-20200219

Beta testers, educate us! I think your free to talk now.

Terry

Last edited by terry.mortimore : 02-19-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:54 PM

"Additionally, a skyBeaconX model for wingtip fitment is scheduled for introduction in mid-2020."

nifty. late, but nifty.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 PM

Default AV30

I?m installing one this weekend with the AV30....install will be documented and reported on....stay tuned.

Don
http://www.mykitlog.com/Don%20Patrick
Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 PM

Question Uavionics TailbeaconX

Hello All

Reference the Uavionix new ADS-B OUT Tailbeacon X, any of you Beta testers know if it will integrate with a Dynon Skyview via one of the serial port...?

If yes, I'll be buying one very soon..

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Hello All

Reference the Uavionix new ADS-B OUT Tailbeacon X, any of you Beta testers know if it will integrate with a Dynon Skyview via one of the serial port...?

If yes, I'll be buying one very soon..

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
From the installation manual on the uAvionix website:

List of Compatible EFIS?s

GRT
MINI-B
MINI-AP
MINI-X
Sport EX
Horizon
MGL
iEFIS

Physical RS232
Baudrate 2400 bps 81N
Protocol UCP or SL-70 or STX165R

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C

President EAA 245 Ottawa, ON
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM

The beta test units were shipped with an AV-10, which is an even further simplified unit that fits in a 2-1/4" hole, and *just* controls the tailBeaconX.

The tailBeaconX isn't the simple "pull the taillight, plug in the tailBeacon" installation that the earlier tailBeacon had. You do need to run a pair of wires for data communication between the tailBeaconX and your instrument panel. That's because the tailBeaconX is a complete Mode S transponder, has to get static data from somewhere, and has to let you set your transponder code somehow as well.

I elected to run a brand new 4-conductor cable to the tail, replacing the original single-conductor the builder of my airplane installed originally (the original taillight was grounded back through the airframe).

And yes, we are allowed to talk about it now... Any questions, ask away!

Last edited by Snowflake : 02-20-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 PM

Default TBX

The new uAvionix tailBeaconX (TBX). It is an "all in one" Mode S ADSB Transponder with GPS and tail light which replaces your white rear position light/strobe. https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/

Some time ago I was contacted by uAvionix to find out if I was interested in being a "beta" tester for them on this product. This came about as a result of having signed up for a Caribbean Air Rally beginning on Mar. 23, 2020
https://airrallycom.wordpress.com/po...ean-air-rally/

They were looking for people flying into the Caribbean in order to test this unit in that area. of course I said yes. This new product is especially of interest to Canadian pilots and to anyone flying outside American airspace. It is my understanding that there are already a number of Canadians who are testing it in Canadian airspace. For now it is only approved for use on Experimental aircraft but the company plans to have it certified later this year. The cost is listed at US $2499,00

I received my unit a couple of week ago and just yesterday I completed the installation and testing. The transponder worked perfectly and the ADSB FAA compliance report came back in 100% compliance. I am now waiting for uAvionix to obtain an Aireon satellite compliance report, which I should have in the next day or two.

Here are a couple of pictures of this little jewel.

The following pictures are of the control head. The basic installation requirement is to run a two conductor 22AWG shielded wire (for data) from the tail light position to the instrument panel. (May not be easy) use power and ground from existing tail light. Install the TBX above and the Control Head below. Both need power and ground plus the control head need static input for altitude. If you are fortunate enough to fly behind an EFIS panel which has an extra serial port and the correct Protocol UCP or SL-70 or STX165R then you don't need the control head, all the needed information can be sent directly from the EFIS via RS232. I have Grand Rapids Technologies (GRT) HXr EFIS screens in my airplane and they are compatible with uAvionix so I didn't need the control panes, which made for a very easy installation.

Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, uAvionixX ADS-B out, Sky Radar WX and Traffic, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

RV-14A under construction.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:54 PM

Default TBX

Here is a statement I copied from the uAvionix web sirte

"The next era of global ADS-B. Compatible with space and ground-based ADS-B surveillance systems, tailBeaconX is a Mode S Extended Squitter ADS-B transponder and WAAS GPS integrated into an LED rear position light. With global compliance, tailBeaconX is the key to limitless destinations.tailBeaconX embraces the future, providing precision ADS-B data to the Aireon satellite network without the need for diversity antennas. When it comes to terra firma, tailBeaconX also exceeds the performance of traditional panel installed transponders that use belly mount antennas"
Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, uAvionixX ADS-B out, Sky Radar WX and Traffic, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

RV-14A under construction.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Couple of questions

Looks like the AV-10 dedicated beaconX control head is not yet available? Is that correct? Rob, did you use this device, and how is the user interface?

Looks like by using the AV-10/20/30 you do not need an altitude encoder in the system, correct?

This looks to be a very easy install for replacing a legacy transponder.

Thanks for the information.
Sedona, AZ
Old 02-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Default Fin durability?

Thanks for testing and feedback. How durable do you think the antennas are? I can see myself snapping one off from the bottom of the RV rudders. Replacing a standard TED transponder antenna isn?t too expensive. But the X unit??

Also, so the location on the bottom of the rudder seems to be fine for ground based locations. Any feedback on Aireon reception?
KCHD AZ
__|__
*>O-(_)-O<*