Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Autopilots
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 03:55 PM
unfluencer

Default Mounting GMC507 on Side by Side Glare Shield?

Kicking Around an Idea I Have For My RV-6 ...dr

I'm thinking of maybe mounting a GMC 507 dedicated autopilot control in a cutout on my glare shied - centered in the middle. For the last decade I've been turning on AP modes with a series of soft keystrokes at the bottom of the PFD. Hear me out on this for a bit before you form an opinion. It's only an inch deep, weighs almost nothing, and I think I might be able to find somebody in the interwebs to 3D print me a mount that would allow both securing the 507 in the mount, and the mount to the glare shield.

While talking with Brad from Garmin over lunch he mentioned something about some people 3D printing switch housings for stuff. Later in the day it dawned on me I could use this maybe as a GMC 507 solution.

The edges could be tapered down to a point on top and bottom to make it look a little more professional in appearance. You could put holes on the side for pencils. Horrible rendition here...

- will it compromise the structural integrity of the glare shield. I don't think so but I'm not sure. I'll call the mothership during non-peak hours.
- will it impact my FOV on T/O and landing (NO - I made an actual-size cutout and sat in the plane (more pictures HERE). Put the camera lens right in front of my pupil on one of the pics.
- will it impact my ability to see the switches (NO - see above)
- it would travel up/down as the canopy is opened/closed.

Anyway, I'm still thinking this through. It sure would make interacting with the AP more similar to the stuff I've been flying lately on extra paper routes. 99% of that flying is spinning HDG and ALT knobs and pushing buttons on that panel. Commonality of workflow...

Has anyone done this in a side by side RV?

More to come and happy to hear feedback,

Supporting images:

AFCS control panel on Pilatus PC-12NG

Guidance panel on Falcon 900 (EASy II)

Flight guidance panel Cessna Caravan
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 12-12-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM

I think it would look nice if you can over come a couple of challenges. One, would it cover or interfere with [easy] access to the switches on the panel that will be behind the 507. Two, how are you going to route the cables to the A/P that still looks professional.
The 507 is not very deep but with the connector connected, it probably be deeper than the glare shield.
Another consideration would be to mounted to the panel in the exact same place instead of the glare shield. This way it is not subject to the movement of the canopy.

Good luck and let us know it goes.
Dues paid
Old 12-12-2019, 07:26 PM

If you're going down the 3d printing route, how about adjusting the model to mount the GMC in the same location as depicted but supported from the panel? You could also design in a cable management slot inside the mount.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Here is one Pahan from Avionics Installations at Spruce Creek did in is personal RV-7A. He 3D printed it:

Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Interesting this thread came up. I've been working in Solidworks to make panels to do just this. This location provides easy accessibility by both pilots. This RV10 panel is done in carbon fiber.

Last edited by Maddawg99 : 12-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Don't forget that you have a connector on the back of the GMC507 to deal with. It has more depth than the 507 unit itself. I think if you mock-up the true depth of the 507 body plus the connector and cable routing it will really be out there in your face.

I have a GMC305 in a tip-up RV6 mounted very high on the panel and offset to the right. Right about where you have some open space above your audio unit. That location works well for me.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Here is the RV-14 panel...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-13-2019, 05:43 AM

If you are going to make a plastic box then you can certainly make a right angle connector shell.
I like this idea, it makes a lot of sense and keeps your eyes looking up and out.
Please report back with the final product
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 12-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg99 View Post
Interesting this thread came up. I've been working in Solidworks to make panels to do just this. This location provides easy accessibility by both pilots. This RV10 panel is done in carbon fiber.

Multiple 'like' button hits!

A right angle DSub connector could help with the depth profile......
Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Hi Doug,
This is strictly personal opinion, my 2 cents worth (in Canadian currency), but i'm planning a panel which is very similar to yours. What can I say, You inspired me with the switch placement etc.!
I would mount the auto pilot controls high in the panel,but not on the glare shield.
This would avoid bending wires with every canopy opening event.
Is there is enough space for it just above your audio panel if you moved some light switches to the right, or below your gps's, just above the throttle?