- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM

Default Tail troubles?!

My older '96 RV-6 has a tail that is tiny. Looks like maybe it came from an RV-4 without counter-weight. I found a replacement tail that was _WAY_ bigger and didn't fit the trim (maybe RV-9?) and I was worried the tail might hit it too. So I found one that was "smaller" (not much) which I hope will fit... but not 100%. I've heard anecdotes about this, but nothing firm.

Does anyone know the empennage history of the RV-6?

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

The small tail with the un-counterweighted rudder is how I know a 6 from a 7.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMe View Post
My older '96 RV-6 has a tail that is tiny. Looks like maybe it came from an RV-4 without counter-weight. I found a replacement tail that was _WAY_ bigger and didn't fit the trim (maybe RV-9?) and I was worried the tail might hit it too. So I found one that was "smaller" (not much) which I hope will fit... but not 100%. I've heard anecdotes about this, but nothing firm.

Does anyone know the empennage history of the RV-6?
There have been two "official" vertical tails/rudders for the -6/6A that I am aware of. The first is the shorter, non-counterweighted flavor. The second adds a small counterweight and is essentially the RV-8 vertical/rudder.

I've seen one -6 with an RV-7 style fin/rudder which has a larger counterweight than the -8 fin and a riveted trailing edge on the rudder vs. the previous bent trailing edge. I don't think the factory ever shipped them as part of a -6 though and was instead of a builder-produced innovation.

My -6A has been mistaken for a -7A because as one of the later -6 kits shipped I got the -8 style fin/rudder. The most foolproof way to tell the difference is by looking at the bottom fuselage at about the position of the wing leading edges. -7/7As will be flat here while -6/6As will have an angled skin that matches the dihedral of the wings.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 AM
been here awhile

The original "small tail" is the only one that looks right on the RV-4 and RV-6.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 PM

Default +1 for Sam

Anything larger would look all wrong!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 09-13-2016, 03:40 PM

Default RV-6

One must consider that adding more weight on the tail can affect your CG. Adding several pounds back there can make your tail 20lbs heavier in your CG calcs and affect how baggage....ect you can carry.
If you have a CS prop out front then it may help you..........

I have thought about this on my RV-6 and opted for the normal rudder and VS. My first RV-6 flew hands off with the normal tail and CG was about perfect with a CS prop and 180hp. I heard people say that the bigger tail gives a more solid feel to yawwing but that was about it.

I think Vans put the bigger tails on the 7 and 8 for help with spin recovery....
Old 09-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden Rich View Post
One must consider that adding more weight on the tail can affect your CG. Adding several pounds back there can make your tail 20lbs heavier in your CG calcs and affect how baggage....ect you can carry.
If you have a CS prop out front then it may help you..........
I agree
My RV-6A has the later RV-8 vertical stab. and rudder out of convenience when I was rebuilding it from a salvage airplane. C.G. is fine with my fixed pitch metal prop. With that vertical tail, I would not install a wood or composite fixed pitch prop because of the negative effect it would have on baggage utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden Rich View Post
I think Vans put the bigger tails on the 7 and 8 for help with spin recovery....
The RV-7 is the only model that has ever had a design change to improve spin recovery. The RV-8 has the same tail today as it had when it was introduced.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 PM

Smile Tail group

I'm pretty sure its the same tail as on the Harmon rocket not sure what your concern is with performance.I have small tail on my 6 with 200hp angle valve and Hartzell CS with 3" spacer.
Bob
Old 09-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Default How do I build an origonal non-counter balanced tail?

So this plane flipped over and remarkably, the vertical and rudder only got minor damage at the tip. I could in theory salvage/fix the vertical I have.

Instead I opted to replace it. The trouble is that nobody has the non-counter weighted tail anymore. I've looked and looked _AND_ I tried to order parts from Vans to repair the one I have... I got the bigger RV-8 parts. So now I'm at a loss, I can easily get the raw stock and rebuild the tail I have using the plans with the airplane or try to make the bigger RV-8 tail fit.

btw, I too want the smaller tail, cause it works, looks right and fits.

Any advice?

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 09-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Lots of -7s flying with the larger tail and light weight, FP, prop but most install a weighted prop plate from Saber to help keep CG where they want it and allow sufficient baggage.

I plan to install either the 15 or 20 lb plate, as needed.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)