Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Default How about a peek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Any update on this???
At least give us a clue. It's getting hot fast!
Exempt but paid
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
Fair go Mike, he said about a month....not a week
Month for production is what he said, was just looking to see if any new info is available.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaire View Post
we have been fighting oil temps when the out side temp starting creeping up
in the 80s, we have sealed all bafflings, change to a larger oil cooler fire wall mounted, up at altitude at cruise the temps stay in line, but down low with warm temps and slower speeds oil temps go up, cyclinder temps are alway good up high or down low 310 to 350.. after looking into we installed the vetterman exhaust with mufflers and looking into the cowl the mufflers are pretty large and block the air flow from the oil cooler to the exit of the cowl.
with the louvers hope to have a air flow for the oil cooler ( I hope)

Tim
Installed the louvers on the bottom of the cowl it lowered the oil temps and cyclinder temps, I also disconnected the map line going to the p-mags to keep them advancing the timing at lower manifold pressure, I have only done a couple a flights with these changes the oil temps are staying around 180 to 195 so far so good,
Tim
Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 AM

Tim,

I am glad you posted that....and I like what I see. I see too much advance being a problem for a lot of people, and no HP gain. It does help when LOP, but none of the EI's on the market get my mouth watering. So how much did this help? I assume you plugged the lead from the head?

Louvres on the sides should work even better. Think about the Thorpe cowls. Liquidaire Baffles........ they work for a reason. Areas of negative pressure.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
Tim,

I am glad you posted that....and I like what I see. I see too much advance being a problem for a lot of people, and no HP gain. It does help when LOP, but none of the EI's on the market get my mouth watering. So how much did this help? I assume you plugged the lead from the head?

Louvres on the sides should work even better. Think about the Thorpe cowls. Liquidaire Baffles........ they work for a reason. Areas of negative pressure.
Over all the the oil temps dropped around 20-25 degrees i never really had a problem at cruise and the throttle wide open.. on the map i just capped off the map line and on the p-mag left the map dissconnected so when i reduce the throttle it does not advance the timing it stays set. I have a sneaky feeling this was my heat problem all along, it was advancing the ignition and heating things up when reducing the throttle
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
...If you guys with heat issues on climb-out can wait about a month, we will be in production of another product that will solve this issue.
Any updates? It will be 100 here in TX soon.
Exempt but paid
Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 AM

I droped my oil temp 45 degrees by replacing my Positech 6 row with an Airflow Systems 13 row and re-working the infeed plenum behind my NACA duct.
1978 PA38-112
Old 06-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Default DROP IN SPEED ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
...If you guys with heat issues on climb-out can wait about a month, we will be in production of another product that will solve this issue. It won't be ugly, it will install very easily, won't require re-painting, won't bankrupt your budget and best of all, will not slow your airplane down. We have seen louvers really have a dramatic detrimental effect on speed as the exit air velocity is reduced, causing considerable drag. Our new product (currently in end stage testing) will not do this so you get the best of both worlds. We are seeing on long, hard climbs, cyl. temp reductions of 40 to 60 degrees and oil temps reduced 25 to 35 degrees. We have been working on and improving this product for almost a year and are now tooling it for production. If you can wait just a little longer, you won't be disappointed. Thanks, Allan...
Out of at least 100 sets of louvers that we have sold, I have not heard one customer say that they lost speed. And $20 bucks per louver does not sound that expensive to me. I'm just saying....

Alex D
RV10 and RV7.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
Out of at least 100 sets of louvers that we have sold, I have not heard one customer say that they lost speed.
From Raymer, Dc = M (Vi - Vo)...cooling drag is mass x velocity loss, freestream (Vi) less outlet velocity (Vo).
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Speed loss or not they work.
Even on really hot days around here <100> F, I never see Cylinder head temps get above 380F and drop around 320 immediately after leveling off.
Oil temps stay below 200F for climb and 180 for cruise on hot days.
On most days during the colder month I close the butterfly valve to keep oil temps up.
Running on E10 mogas
Don't believe everything you know.