VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
campi campi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 214
Default Initial Flight Training in RV-12

I have searched the forums but did not find the specific answer I'm looking for. I understand that ELSA cannot be used for hire, although certain CFIs have obtained LODAs to provide transition training, which is obviously a very good thing.

However, can an owner obtain primary flight training in his/her RV-12 certified under ELSA? So, for example, could a family member of the owner of the RV-12 legally obtain initial flight training in the 12?

Thanks,
__________________
Fernando
RV-6 (Purchased and sold)
RV-4 (Purchased and sold)
VAF # 1303
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
RatMan RatMan is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Mississippi
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campi View Post

can an owner obtain primary flight training in his/her RV-12 certified under ELSA?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by campi View Post
So, for example, could a family member of the owner of the RV-12 legally obtain initial flight training in the 12?
Yes, as long as the family member doesn't pay for the use of the aircraft.

Assuming the instructor doesn't own any part of the aircraft, they can charge for there time as well.

This link might help...http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/....asp?faqid=270
__________________
John Ratliff
N898R
RV-8
Saucier MS

Last edited by RatMan : 01-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
pierre smith's Avatar
pierre smith pierre smith is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisville, Ga
Posts: 7,885
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatMan View Post
Yes



Yes, as long as the family member doesn't pay for the use of the aircraft.

[/url]
My wife asked the same question and I told her no money would be involved but we could...er....'trade'.

Best,
__________________
Rv10 Sold
46 years ag pilot/CFI
Air Tractor 502/PT-6
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 AM
campi campi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 214
Default Thanks!

Appreciate the quick response.
__________________
Fernando
RV-6 (Purchased and sold)
RV-4 (Purchased and sold)
VAF # 1303
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
JDRhodes JDRhodes is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Taylorsville, GA
Posts: 748
Default trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
My wife asked the same question and I told her no money would be involved but we could...er....'trade'.
For what?
__________________
Jeff Rhodes - Taylorsville, GA
RV-9, 7 - going fast
BC-12D - going slow
jrhodes@v1salesmgt.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
pierre smith's Avatar
pierre smith pierre smith is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisville, Ga
Posts: 7,885
Default Dont ask, don't tell :)

Jeff, aren't you a married man?

Best,
__________________
Rv10 Sold
46 years ag pilot/CFI
Air Tractor 502/PT-6
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
dmaib's Avatar
dmaib dmaib is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatMan View Post
Yes



Yes, as long as the family member doesn't pay for the use of the aircraft.

Assuming the instructor doesn't own any part of the aircraft, they can charge for there time as well.

This link might help...http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/....asp?faqid=270
The instructor is always free to charge for his or her time. Why would the instructor owning a part of (or the whole airplane, for that matter) change that? The prohibition is on charging for the use of the airplane, not for the instruction. A LODA allows the owner/instructor to charge for the use of the airplane, but has nothing to do with charging for instructor time.
__________________
David Maib
RV-10 N380DM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne





Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
RatMan RatMan is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Mississippi
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaib View Post
The instructor is always free to charge for his or her time. Why would the instructor owning a part of (or the whole airplane, for that matter) change that? The prohibition is on charging for the use of the airplane, not for the instruction. A LODA allows the owner/instructor to charge for the use of the airplane, but has nothing to do with charging for instructor time.
You are correct Sir, shouldn't be a problem. Now I think I'll get a -12 and start instructing in it. Whatdaya think, $150.00 an hour sound good? I've seen that done.

Seriously, you are correct in that an instructor can charge for his time in an experimental aircraft. Although a LODA has nothing to do with it.
__________________
John Ratliff
N898R
RV-8
Saucier MS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM
dmaib's Avatar
dmaib dmaib is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatMan View Post
You are correct Sir, shouldn't be a problem. Now I think I'll get a -12 and start instructing in it. Whatdaya think, $150.00 an hour sound good? I've seen that done.
Yep, I've seen that done, too.
__________________
David Maib
RV-10 N380DM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne





Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Alex D Alex D is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 114
Default RV12 Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by campi View Post
I have searched the forums but did not find the specific answer I'm looking for. I understand that ELSA cannot be used for hire, although certain CFIs have obtained LODAs to provide transition training, which is obviously a very good thing.

However, can an owner obtain primary flight training in his/her RV-12 certified under ELSA? So, for example, could a family member of the owner of the RV-12 legally obtain initial flight training in the 12?

Thanks,
I agree with everyone that you can, but make sure you are not in Phase1 testing.

Alex D
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.