Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMagare View Post
I seem to remember someone writing about how they used an ordinary plastic garden sprayer (for fertilizers/weed killers, available at any home improvement store) as a pressure vessel by attaching an appropriate hose to the end. Fill it with fluid, connect it to the nipple, pump it up, and squeeze the trigger. What a GREAT idea!
I use an even simpler method - an old fashioned pump type oil can (harbor freight - $1.99 special) with a short piece of clear plastic hose (Home Depot Aviation Department $0.20) that runs from the oil can to the bleed valve. Simply pump the oil and watch in the clear tube that no air bubles get into the system.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
Uh...I think you answered your own question!
I'm sorry to seem so dense. If there are no obvious risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid in an RV, then great!

I just thought I might be jumping into another situation where I create my own problems--like when I had HC pistons forged and bought an electronic ignition before knowing enough to even wonder about prop vibration and resonance. Now, I know and accept certain risks in running my particular engine/prop combo.

With regard to brake fluid, I was curious whether others knew about certain risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid and accepted those risks? Or, in the alternative, whether there are no obvious risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid? I should have just asked that, huh?

Just to clarify my earlier post, I don't know what properties are significant when selecting a brake fluid. The ones listed above, in my previous post, may or may not be significant. And, there may be many other more significant properties to consider when selecting a brake fluid than the ones I listed.

Thanks in advance! I learn a lot here.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_georgia View Post
I use an even simpler method - an old fashioned pump type oil can (harbor freight - $1.99 special) with a short piece of clear plastic hose (Home Depot Aviation Department $0.20) that runs from the oil can to the bleed valve. Simply pump the oil and watch in the clear tube that no air bubles get into the system.
In a lot of instances that will work fine, as I have one just like you describe. The problem arises when you have master cylinders upside down like on the -4 and Rockets, or where you have high points in the system where the supply is not upstream gravity-wise. You literally have to blow oil thru quickly to get all the bubbles out. That's where a pressure can bleeder has the advantage. AC$ sells a similar setup and its just a garden sprayer.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv620mr View Post
I'm sorry to seem so dense. If there are no obvious risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid in an RV, then great!

I just thought I might be jumping into another situation where I create my own problems--like when I had HC pistons forged and bought an electronic ignition before knowing enough to even wonder about prop vibration and resonance. Now, I know and accept certain risks in running my particular engine/prop combo.

With regard to brake fluid, I was curious whether others knew about certain risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid and accepted those risks? Or, in the alternative, whether there are no obvious risks in using Mobil 1 Synth ATF as brake fluid? I should have just asked that, huh?

Just to clarify my earlier post, I don't know what properties are significant when selecting a brake fluid. The ones listed above, in my previous post, may or may not be significant. And, there may be many other more significant properties to consider when selecting a brake fluid than the ones I listed.

Thanks in advance! I learn a lot here.
Sorry Monte, I was being cute.

I'm unaware of any downsides. I have been using it most of the year and the other guys here in Indy have been using it for years without any known effects. It's even red like the the other stuff so your friends won't know unless you tell them.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
Sorry Monte, I was being cute.

I'm unaware of any downsides. I have been using it most of the year and the other guys here in Indy have been using it for years without any known effects. It's even red like the the other stuff so your friends won't know unless you tell them.
No worries, Randy. Thanks for the info. I appreciate your willingness to help me.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Use of DOT 5 silicone fluid

I am ready to bleed my RV-9A brakes for the first time!!
RV-9 plans, pg 10-4, specifically says to NOT use 100 silicone automotive brake fluid. BUT.... in the 1980's, there were several cases of EZ's having brake fires when using the traditional "ruby red" hydraulic brake fluid.

Burt Rutan published in his RAF newsletter, Canard Pusher 54-Pg4, July 1987: "We highly recommend the 100% silicone brake fluid (must be Dot 5). Since it is completely inert, compatible with any type "O" rings and seals. It is not flammable and it does not destroy your paint as normal aircraft brake fluid does. We bought it at a Hot Rod-type auto parts store locally."

I personally changed the brake fluid in my Long-EZ from "ruby red" to DOT 5 purple fluid and never had any trouble in 20 yrs of running the fluid in my EZ.

Question is.... does Van's know something about silicone fluid in Cleveland brakes that others are missing????? Anyone else out there with DOT 5 experience?
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM

I have a 'mixed' brake set-up, old-style Rosenhan master cylinders (with automotive seals) and Grove brake units. For compatibility reasons I went with the silicone fluid and have used Dot 5 for the past five years.
Have not had any problems whatsoever using silicone. The fluid is benign if you spill some or have a leak. Initially I was concerned that moisture might settle to the bottom of the calipers (since apparently unlike regular brake fluid, Dot 5 does not absorb water) but to date I've found no corrosion or indeed any water at all.