Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Default ADI Pilot II

Hi Louise,
I just noticed in your last pic, that the ADI PII is not showing track. Make sure that you get the RS 232 out put from your GPS to the ADI. If you need to set up the port on your hand held GPS let me know.

Nice panel work
Alex De Dominicis
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

You're right Alex - it wasn't set up that day - took a few flights before we had all the interfaces talking. I set up the 396/ADI after that flight (after Louise had to head home), and have tested it - works great!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM

I happened across this thread while reading a post talking about the throttle and mixture mounted on the Z-panel below Mikey's panel.

Having just bought an RV-6 tip-up this year, i'm wondering about future panel upgrades and have to admit that this one looks pretty close to what I was thinking.

A question for Paul and Louise... How much of this could be done without taking the airplane out of service? I'd like to make a new panel blank, lay out the entire panel, and even get everything wired and tested, before taking Tweety off-line. I'm thinking maybe this winter or next winter for the upgrade, but i'd like to minimize the downtime.

I guess what I need to know is, about how long did it take to remove Mikey's old panel, clean up the underlying structure, and install and do the final hookup of the new panel?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Let's see....

Pulling the old panel took only a couple of days - we did it over the Thanksgiving weekend that year. I spent a couple of weeks building and wiring the new panel, and then together we spent about a week doing cleanup and the new install. If you were going to use all new stuff int eh new panel, it would be easy to build it all on the bench and then do a one week transplant - as long as you avoided "mission creep", like repainting the entire interior, deciding to rewire the entire FWF, etc. But that mission creep gets just about everyone - depends on how disciplined you are - and how disciplined you need to be. Taking an extra week to make everything "like new" was worth it for us in the long run, since this was an almost twenty year old airplane - lots of stuff was getting pretty old and would need replacing soon anyway.

If you are going to re-use stuff from your old panel, you are going to have to pull the airplane out of service eventually to fit and transfer the stuff across. How fast this goes depends on your experience and how complete of a shop you have - both from the tool and supply perspective. It is a pain to have to stop and wait for an ACS order because you're missing one plumbing connector, or you ran out of 22 gauge wire and have to wait on the UPS box from Stein....

We didn't lose a lot of time, and it took us about 5 - 6 weeks from start to finish with almost everything on hand. "Mikey" was stripped down to a bare cockpit with only a few wires in the process, which was not the original intent, but it was necessary.

Your mileage will vary depending on what you change, and your experience, of course.

Paul
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 PM

That's good info Paul, thanks for the summary. I totally agree that "mission creep" is likely here, as Tweety is also getting older, even if only 14 years at this point. I expect I would re-use the Radio and Transponder from my existing panel, but that's about it. If i put backup steam gauges in I would be inclined to use the 2-1/4" gauges in a row up the middle, right where Mikey's ADI and VSI are... I don't have the canopy release so I have a little more vertical space there. This is the current layout.

Things like the switches *could* be re-used, but i'd like to get rid of the keyswitch for the mags, maybe change the toggles to rockers, and replace the flush CB's with pullable CB's. So really most everything but the avionics will get changed out. For the cost of spare chassis' for the transponder and iCOM, I could even leave them in the airplane right to the last minute.

But I shouldn't be thinking about this in too much detail yet... Or i'll end up buying new parts before summer gets here.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
But I shouldn't be thinking about this in too much detail yet... Or i'll end up buying new parts before summer gets here.
Duh...that's the whole point!!!

Do you need a little "help" thinkin about it...you know me, always here to help!

Cheers,
Stein
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I've been browsing through several looking at panel layouts, etc..

I was just playing with Photoshop about 30 minutes ago and came up with "my panel." Got on VAF and was doing a search on the FlightDek and ran across this thread..

I have to say, this is one of the most well laid out panels I've seen so far.. It is very much like the panel I photo chopped, but better in several ways..

I'm digging it.

Where did you gets get the little mirror that looks like it's perfect for the dash?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Where did you gets get the little mirror that looks like it's perfect for the dash?
The little mirrors are from Autozone.